India is still moving towards boasting a 100 percent rail connectivity.
Railway took another step in that direction with opening of a 210
Here are the Parameters on which government grants the status of Maharatna, Navratna and Miniratna to Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPS
Apart from the earth, Moon is the only other celestial body to feel the boot of a man.
Do you know how many people have taken a walk on t
Palk Strait is an inlet of the Bay of Bengal which separates India from Sri Lanka.
The strait is named after Robert Palk, who was a governor of Mad
- Railways moves further up the North-East; Lumding-Silchar (Assam) 'Broad Gauge' railway line becomes operational.
- Mohd Jamshed submits report of the 'Committee' - constituted to suggest measures on Railway Traffic Optimization - to the centre.
Some Observations and Suggestions
- Factors impacting the growth of Indian railways includes; Development of infrastructure, Augmentation of capacity and Saturation levels of all high density routes.
- Identified specific bottlenecks requiring urgent attention including completion of last mile projects
- Decline in number of passengers in both sub-urban and non-sub-urban short route traffic; needs rationalisation of fares to reverse the trend.
- The long distance reserved category traffic has shown robust growth, which has to be doubled during the next three years.
- Full load running of trains, induction of DMUs and MEMUs, dynamic pricing for all Mail/Express trains and changes in scheduling of trains and their maintenance are some of the areas requiring attention.
- Also suggested using satellite for Indian Railways' operation and safety needs.
- Indian Railways freight loading has the potential to grow between 9 to 15 per cent during the next 4 years against the growth of around 4% recorded during the last four years.
- ISRO bags 'Gandhi Peace Prize' for the year 2014.
- The Gandhi Peace Prize for social, economic and political transformation through non-violence was instituted in the year 1995.
- The Award comprises an amount of Rupees One crore and a citation.
- Prominent Awardees: Dr. Nelson Mandela, Mr. Vaclav Havel, Dr. Julius K. Nyerere, Baba Amte, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Grameen Bank of Bangladesh, Bharatiya Vidya Bhawan and Ramkrishna Mission.
- Centre inaugurates Urja Sangam 2015 - India's biggest global hydrocarbon meet with aim to achieve energy security and reliance.
- Urja Sangam aims to market nation's potential in the hydrocarbon globally to bring investment and expertize to provide the necessary boost to this sector.
- He urged all stakeholders to increase the domestic production of Oil and Gas to reduce import dependence from 77 % to 67% by the year 2022, and down to 50 % by the year 2030.
- National gas grid network to be increased from its current length of 15,000 kms pipeline to 30,000 kms cross country gas pipeline.
- The said move would help connect Eastern states with the rest of the country which will boost industrial development.
- India currently has 99 trillion cubic feet of shale gas reserves and 800 MMT of oil reserves.