President Pranab Mukerjee clears five legislations
Presdent Pranab Mukherjee has given his assent to five key bill in line to the provisions laid down Article 111 of the Constitution of India. The five bills has already been passed by both the houses of Parliament, Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha in the recently concluded Winter session of Parliament.
Five Bills cleared by the President :
>Login To Save for Revision
- Arbitration and Conciliation (Amendment) Act : As per the Arbitration and Conciliation (Amendment) Act, 2015, an arbitrator will have to settle a case within 18 months. After the completion of 12 months, certain restrictions will be put in place to ensure that the arbitration case does not linger.
- The Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Amendment Act : Under the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Amendment Act, 2015, assaulting or sexually exploiting an SC or ST woman is an offence. The Act states that any intentional touching of an SC or ST woman in a sexual manner without her consent, using words, acts or gestures of a sexual nature, dedicating her as a devadasi to a temple, or any similar practice will be considered an offence.
- The Commercial Courts, Commercial Division and Commercial Appellate Division of High Courts Act : The Commercial Courts, Commercial Division and Commercial Appellate Division of High Courts Act is aimed at creating commercial benches in select high courts.
- The Atomic Energy (Amendment) Act : The Atomic Energy (Amendment) Act will allow state-run Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL) to have collaboration with other public sector undertakings in the nuclear field.
- The Payment of Bonus (Amendment) Act, 2015 :The Payment of Bonus (Amendment) Act, 2015, provides for enhancing monthly bonus calculation ceiling to Rs. 7,000 per month from the existing Rs. 3,500. It also enhances the eligibility limit for payment of bonus from Rs. 10,000 per month to Rs. 21,000 per month.
- Amputee mountaineer Arunima Sinha scales Mt Aconcagua in Andes
Arunima Sinha, an amputee mountaineer from Uttar Pradesh who had previously set a record by climbing the Mount Everest, has added another feather in her cap by conquering Mount Aconcagua in Argentina. With this, she has created World record by becoming First Female amputee to climb 5 Mountains of the World.
It was her 5th successful summit of the Mission 7 Summits which she started on the morning of December 12 and hoisted the Indian tricolour on December 25 at the summit. Aconcagua is the highest mountain outside Asia, at 6,960.8 metres, and by extension, the highest point in both the Western Hemisphere and the Southern Hemisphere
Facts to know about Arunima Sinha :
>Login To Save for Revision
- Arunima Sinha born in 1988 at Ambedkar Nagar, Uttar Pradesh is the first female amputee to climb Mount Everest. She is also the first Indian amputee to climb Mount Everest.
- Arunima was a national level volleyball player who lost her left leg in a train accident in 2011 after she was pushed out of a running train by robbers but even than she surprised the world by scaling Mt. Everest on May 21, 2013. She was awarded the Padma Shri for her achievement.
- Her aim is to climb all the continents' highest peaks and put the national flag of India, she has already scaled five world's highest peaks.
- Govt to roll out direct benefit transfer scheme for kerosene from 1 April
After the success of paying subsidy to LPG users in their bank through PAHAL scheme, now the government will from April 1 roll out a similar programme for kerosene where the users will buy the kerosene at market rate but will get subsidy directly in their bank accounts.
The scheme will be rolled out from April 1 in selected 26 districts of eight states. These states are Haryana, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Himachal Pradesh, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Punjab and Rajasthan.
About The scheme :
- Consumers will buy kerosene at market rate (un-subsidised price) but will get subsidy directly in their bank accounts.The cash subsidy to be paid to users will be equivalent to the difference between current PDS price of about Rs 12 and market rate of Rs 43 per litre.
- To avoid any inconvenience to the beneficiary through payment of un-subsidised price, subsidy shall be credited to eligible beneficiaries in advance during the initial purchase.
- The state governments will be consulted in the meantime before operationalising the scheme. The working of the scheme will also be reviewed after three months of implementation.
How much kerosene the country needs ?
- The National Sample Survey 2011-12 indicates that the total consumption of kerosene in the country, including both open market and PDS kerosene, was 71.30 lakh kilolitres.
- Although the consumption of kerosene has been coming down over the years but 86.85 lakh kilolitres of subsidized PDS kerosene has been allocated to the states in the year 2015-16, which is higher than the total household kerosene demand in the country.
Note : The data shows that much of kerosene is being given to people who actually do not need it as there has been a major increase in coverage of power supply through electrification of villages. Nearly 45 lakh new LPG connections have also been given to the poor>Login To Save for Revision
- Veteran CPI leader AB Bardhan passes away
Veteran Communist Party of India leader Ardhendu Bhushan Bardhan (92) passed away in Mumbai, Maharashtra. Bardhan was a leading figure of the trade union movement and left politics in India. He had had played a crucial role in maintaining the space for Communists in national politics.
Facts to know about A.B. Bardhan :
>Login To Save for Revision
- A.B. Bardhan was born on 25 September, 1924 in Barisal, Bengal Presidency, British India (now Bangladesh). He had embraced Communism at the age of 15 after he moved to Nagpur and had joined All India Students’ Federation (AISF) at Nagpur University in 1940.
- Bardhan entered national politics and moved to Delhi where he became the General Secretary of the All India Trade Union Congress in 1994 and became the Deputy General Secretary of the Communist Party of India in 1995. He had held the post of general secretary for over a record number of years from 1996 to 2012.
- Bardhan played a key role in the formation of the United Progressive Alliance government which was supported by the Communist Party of India. He is rememebred for the campaign he initiated in response to Lal Krishna Advani’s Rath Yatra
- India wins SAFF football championships for 7th time
India won the 2015 South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) championship for record seventh time. In the finals played at Thiruvanantapuram (Kerala), India defeated the defending champion Afghanistan by a score of 2-1. Earlier India had won the SAFF Football Championship in year 1993, 1997, 1999, 2005, 2009 and 2011.
Jeje Lalpekhlua (72nd minute) and Sunil Chhetri (101th) had scored goals for India. For Afghanistan single goal was scored by Zubayr Amiri at 70th minute.
- Captain of Indian team : Sunil Chhetri.
- Captain of Afghanistan Team : Faysal Shayesteh.
Facts to know about SAFF football championships :
>Login To Save for Revision
- SAFF Championship which is also known as South Asian Football Federation Cup is the biennial football competition of the men’s national football teams of 8 countries in South Asia region. SAFF Football Championship was established in 1993 and is governed by the South Asian Football Federation.
- The countries that compete in the tournaments are Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. It is held every two years. Afghanistan joined SAFF in 2005.
- 207th Birth anniversary of Louis Braille celebrated across the world
The 207th Birth anniversary of Louis Braille, the inventor of the Braille script for the visually challenged people is being celebrated today across the world.The day is also marked as 'Louis Braille Day' every year on 4th January. A series of functions have been organised by Blind Peoples Association- BPA Ahmedabad and other organisations in the state on this occasion.
Facts to know about Louis Braille :
- Louis Braille was a French educator who invented the braille system through which a blind or visually impaired person can read and write.
- He was blinded in both eyes as a result of an early childhood accident, he mastered his disability while still a boy. He excelled in his education and received scholarship to France's Royal Institute for Blind Youth.
- Inspired by the military cryptography of Charles Barbier, Louis Braille began developing a system of tactile code that could allow blind people to read and write quickly and efficiently which was recognized as a revolutionary invention and adapted for use in languages worldwide.
Most Popular Stories
Like us ?
By solving 2 + 2 won't make you genius or by liking Sai Baba post won't make you successful. But if you read boring current affairs delivered by erewise then it will certainly help you crack your exams.
Erewise is a revision web portal especially designed & dedicated to students who want to make it big in the world through their academic skills and talents.
We cater to the needs of those who seek career in high offices by cracking competitive exams like SSC, UPSC, Banking, State PCS and others by providing them with comprehensive and interactive learning contents that keep them abreast with the relevant news and events around the world in an appealing way.
Write for us
You can now write your ideas/views on the current affairs and let all others to read them by publishing them on our website.
It's a golden chance to analyse your state of preparations by writing on daily current events and reviewing response/comments received on them.