Andhra govt inaugurates country's first lift irrigation project
Andhra Pradesh government inaugurated Pattiseema lift irrigation project, which is described as the first river linking project in country, connecting Godavari River with Krishna River from the ongoing Polavaram Multi-purpose Irrigation Project. The project was awarded to Hyderabad-based Megha Engineering and Infrastructure Limited (MEIL) and completed in a record time of one year.
Key facts about Pattiseema lift irrigation project :
1. The project has been designed to lift 80 tmc (trillion metric cubic feet) of flood water in a span of 110 days during the flooding season between July and October from Godavari as permitted by the Godavari Water Dispute Tribunal (GWDT).
2. From this project, water is pumped up to a nearby point and discharged into Polavaram Right Main Canal, which carry water by gravity to a tributary of River Krishna about 170 km away in the neighboring Krishna district above the Prakasham barrage.
3. The project contains 24 pumps and 24 motors of 5,300 HP and 6,300 HP respectively with a combined capacity to discharge 8,500 cusecs of water. The project requires 113 mw of power to run all the 24 pumps as each motor require 4.7 mw of power to lift the water. The first pump of this Rs 1,300-crore project was installed and switched on in September, 2015.
4. Godavari-Krishna linkage will benefit the Krishna delta in terms of timely availability and adequate quantities of water even for raising the second crop. The project would stabilise 12 lakh acres of existing ayacut besides meeting the second crop requirements of Krishna delta. One tmc of water is adequate to irrigate 10,000 acres of area.
Polavarm project : The main Polavarm project was declared as a national project under the AP Reorganisation Act, 2014 and was being funded by Government of India. The cost of project was estimated around Rs 4,474 crore in the year 2004, which was raised to little over Rs 16,000 crore by 2010-11.>Login To Save for Revision
- Mizoram, JICA sign pact for promoting sustainable agriculture
The Mizoram government and Japanese International Cooperative Agency (JICA) have signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on 'Capacity Enhancement for Sustainable Agriculture and Irrigation Development.'
It was signed by top officials of Agriculture, Minor Irrigation, Horticulture and Soil and Water Conservation departments while JICA was represented by its team leader Satoru Fujita and four other officials both from Tokyo and Delhi.
Facts about the MoU :
1. Experts of the Japanese company would, on the company's own expense, undertake technical cooperation project in four rural development blocks in Aizawl, Kolasib, Serchhip and Champhai districts.
2. The JICA had conducted development study during 2013 and 2015 and had formulated a master plan covering 20 years. The technical cooperation project would commence from October this year and continue till September 2021.
3. Under it training programmes would be conducted in Japan both for farmers and officials from Mizoram for three times and the expenses would be borne by the Japanese government.>Login To Save for Revision
- Mint plant can help fight cancer: CIMAP Researchers
Sientists at CSIR-Central Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic plants (CIMAP) have identified that a compound called `L-Menthol' derived from Mentha plant, popularly known as mint, can also be used in anti-cancer drugs.
1. LMenthol can kill the colon cancer cell line without affecting the normal cell line. Mentha compound inhibits the division of cancer cell and prevent its growth and spread to other organs of the body.
2. Production of L-menthol is cost-effective, non-destructive and easily available in comparison to anticancer compound used at present, derived from the bark of European Yew tree.
3. Mentha is available in abundance across the world, the European Yew tree is found only in Europe and some parts of Africa and Asia.
4. Menthol can be derived easily without damaging the plant, whereas the European Yew tree has to be cut down for using bark for deriving anti-cancer compound. The discovery can be very useful for farmers in the city and the state, where Mentha is grown in large quantity.>Login To Save for Revision
- International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transatlantic Slave Trade : March 25
Every year 25th March is observed as International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transatlantic Slave Trade to honour and remember those who suffered and died at the hands of the brutal slavery system.
The day aims to raise awareness about the dangers of racism and prejudice that had taken place over the span 400 years is considered as the worst violation of human rights in history in which more than 15 million men, women and children were the victims.
Theme for the year 2016 : “Remember Slavery: Celebrating the Heritage and Culture of the African Diaspora and its Roots”.
The theme aims to draw attention towards the rich African traditions and culture that have impacted life in countries which were involved in the slave trade. The theme also marks the major contributions African diaspora in all aspects of life in these countries.>Login To Save for Revision
- Self regulatory code for industry to protect consumers against misleading advertisements and counterfeit products
In order to protect the rights of consumers against misleading advertisements, fake and counterfeit products, and for effective redressal of consumer complaints, the Department of Consumer Affairs has entered into partnership with the Industry Association to implement six points’ agenda.
Memoranda of Understanding (MoU) in this regard was inked between Department of Consumer Affairs and the industry bodies related to self-regulated code of fair business.
The MoU broadly cover the collaborative programmes on developing and implementing a self-regulated code of fair business practices. The MoU focuses at :-
- Establishing a Consumer Affairs division/vertical within the Industry Body.
- Initiating advocacy action against unfair trade practices and preventing fake, counterfeit and sub-standard products and services.
- Adoption of voluntary standards by Industry members.
- Earmarking of CSR funds for consumer awareness and protection activities.
- Partnering with the National Consumer Helpline and State Consumer Helplines for grievance redressal.
- Launching joint consumer awareness, education and training programmes under the “Jago Grahak Jago”.
The code contains provision of trustworthy products and services for the consumers, comply with the competition and anti-trust laws and respond to consumer complaints promptly. It covers six broad principles to be adopted by the industry :-
>Login To Save for Revision
- Safety of products and services.
- Building sustainable supply chains.
- Marketing products ethically.
- Non-indulgence in unfair trade practices.
- Complying with competition and anti-trust laws.
- Prompt response to consumer complaints.
- Dutch soccer legend Johan Cruyff passes away
Johan Cruyff, the legendary Dutch soccer striker and coach,passed away after a long battle with lung cancer in Barcelona, Spain.
Cruyff was one of the most famous exponents of the football philosophy known as Total Football. He is widely regarded as one of the greatest players in football history.
At a glance - Johan Cruyff
1. He was born as Hendrik Johannes "Johan" Cruijff on 25 April 1947 in Amsterdam, Netherlands. He started his career at Ajax FC where he won eight Eredivisie titles and three European Cups in a row from 1971-73.
2. In 1973 he moved to FC Barcelona for a world record transfer fee, winning La Liga in his first season and was named European Footballer of the Year. As a player he won the Ballon d'Or three times, in 1971, 1973 and 1974.
3. As a player Cruyff scored 392 times in 520 games over a 19-year career and as a coach he had 242 victories in 387 matches, with 75 draws and 70 losses.
Most Popular Stories
Like us ?
By solving 2 + 2 won't make you genius or by liking Sai Baba post won't make you successful. But if you read boring current affairs delivered by erewise then it will certainly help you crack your exams.
Erewise is a revision web portal especially designed & dedicated to students who want to make it big in the world through their academic skills and talents.
We cater to the needs of those who seek career in high offices by cracking competitive exams like SSC, UPSC, Banking, State PCS and others by providing them with comprehensive and interactive learning contents that keep them abreast with the relevant news and events around the world in an appealing way.
Write for us
You can now write your ideas/views on the current affairs and let all others to read them by publishing them on our website.
It's a golden chance to analyse your state of preparations by writing on daily current events and reviewing response/comments received on them.
- Mizoram, JICA sign pact for promoting sustainable agriculture