Indira Gandhi Paryavaran Puraskar 2013 announced
Indira Gandhi Paryavaran Puraskar for the year 2013 have been conferred on 2 organizations and 3 individuals among a total of 97 nominations. The annual environment award was established in 1987 by the Ministry of Environment and Forests. The prize honours individuals and organizations separately for their significant contributions to improve and enrich the environment.
- The 21st Battalion of The Jat Regiment
- The Joygopalpur Gram Vikas Kendra (West Bengal)
- Dr. Anil Sharma: Director of NGO ‘Sathi’ (Himachal Pradesh)
- Kartick Satyanarayanan: Co-founder and Chairperson of the NGO ‘Wildlife SOS India’ (New Delhi)
- Dr. N. Ramesh: An engineer in Puducherry Pollution Control Committee
- There are 2 prizes in organization category that offers 5 lacs in cash alongwith a silver lotus trophy, a Scroll and a Citation.
- The number of individual prizes are three; of 5 lacs, 3 lacs and 2 lacs rupees.
- Each is awarded together with a silver lotus trophy, a Scroll and a Citation.
- The honour may be withheld for the lack of eligible candidates any given year.
- Any Indian individual or organisation who has significantly contributed to environment in fields such as Afforestation, Pollution control, Conservation of natural resources, Creating awareness on environmental issues etc.
- The 7-member award committee chaired by the Vice-President determine the winners.
- Lok Sabha speaker, Minister of Environment and his secretary alongwith three chosen expert members make up the rest of the panel.