Sharad Kumar : appointed new DG of NIA
Sharad Kumar has been appointed as the new Director General of National Investigation Agency- India’s central investigation agency for terror and other cases which may affect sovereignty, security and integrity of India.
- is a 1979 batch IPS officer of Haryana cadre and presently assigned the duties of DG (prison) Haryana.
- will take charge from NR Wasan, additional DG NIA, who was temporarily holding the post after incumbent S C Sinha left office as the member of National Human Rights Commission
The National Investigation Agency
NIA is India’s Central Counter Terrorism Law Enforcement Agency mandated, at the national level, to investigate and prosecute offences affecting the sovereignty, security and integrity of India, friendly relations with foreign States and offences under Acts enacted to implement international treaties, agreements, conventions and resolutions of the United Nations and other international organizations and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.
- Created on 31st December 2008 after the horrific Mumbai terror attack in November 2008, it derives its existence under NIA act, 2008 and functions under Home Ministry.
- For central coordination of all investigation and prosecutions related to terror and other complex cases having inter-State and international linkages
- to provide assistance to, and seek assistance from other intelligence and investigation agencies of the Central Government and State Governments