Constitution/Indian polity Current Affairs (Page : 4)
Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014
The government has finally designated the minority status to Jain community making it the 6th such entity under Section 2 (c) of the National Commission for Min
Wednesday, Jan 08, 2014
WHAT IS LOK PAL BILL The Lokpal Bill provides for the creation of an anti-graft watchdog which will have under its purview even the Prime Minister with
Friday, Dec 27, 2013
INTRODUCTION There have been a number of cases of rape & violence used against the children. These victimized and abused children often remain silent
Wednesday, Sep 25, 2013
The Parliament has passed 'Prohibition of Employment as Manual Scavengers and their Rehabilitation Bill, 2012'. What is Manual Scavenging?
Tuesday, May 14, 2013
The Central government has constituted " Group of Ministers" to recommend measures through a draft law which will ensure functional autonomy (
Friday, Mar 08, 2013
Union Cabinet approves Right of Citizens for Time-Bound Delivery of Goods and Services and Redressal of their Grievances Bill
The Right of Citizens for Time-Bound Delivery of Goods and Services and Redressal of their Grievances Bill, 2011, was approved by the Union Cabinet which is
Monday, Feb 11, 2013
Union Minister for Minority Affairs K. Rahman Khan said that The Union Minority Affairs Ministry has directed the National Commission for Religious and Lingu
Thursday, Jan 31, 2013
The Union Cabinet has approved the Lokpal bill with some amendments as per the recommendations of Rajya Sabha Select Committee.In its present form it d
Thursday, Apr 04, 2013
The Rajasthan High Court has stayed the government decision to allot 5 per cent reservation to special backward classes in government jobs and educational in
Wednesday, Apr 03, 2013
Following the fall of the Arjun Munda government after being reduced to a minority following the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha’s withdrawal of support ,Presid
Constitution/Indian polity Tidbits ( Apr 03, 2013 - Jan 21, 2014 )
- Jan 21, 2014 Jains become 'minority' in India. - read more
- Jan 21, 2014 Petroleum & Natural Gas minister M. Veerappa Moily approves constitution of Multi Organisation Team (MOT) for Re-assessment of Hydrocarbon Resources of India. show
- Jan 20, 2014 Centre issues directive for 150 days (50 more than stipulated 100 days) work under MGNREGA for STs in Forest Areas. It will apply exclusively to those with pattas under Forest Rights Act, FRA(2006).
- Jan 17, 2014 Department of Disability Affairs organizes “SAMARTH 2014: Celebrating Diversity” together with the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment. show
- Jan 10, 2014 The union cabinet sanctions the National Youth Policy (NYP) 2014 focusing on education, skill development, employment, entrepreneurship and health. show
- Jan 09, 2014 Fundamental Duties - read more
- Jan 09, 2014 Read - Presidential System Vs Parliamentary System of Government - read more
- Jan 09, 2014 Delhi government launches anti-corruption helpline '011-27357169' to help people trap corrupt government employees through sting operations. show
- Jan 09, 2014 Government is set to establish 'Equal Opportunity Commission' to address cases of discrimination in employment faced by the minorities. The commission, recommended by the Sachar Committee, will also grant 'minority' status to Jain community.
- Jan 04, 2014 Aam Aadmi Party MLA Maninder Singh Dhir becomes the new speaker of Delhi Assembly.
- Jan 03, 2014 Government approves amendments in the Mega Power Policy 2009 for provisional Mega Power projects. show
- Jan 02, 2014 Lokpal Bill gets Presidential assent. Lokpal can enquire into offences under the Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988 (PCA) committed by members of Parliament, group A and B government officials, employees of a company, society or a trust set up by an Act of Parliament, or financed or controlled by the central government. The anti-graft act also mandates States to make their own law for setting up Lokayuktas along the lines of the 'Lokpal' within a year. - read more
- Dec 27, 2013 Judicial Appointments Commission (JAC) to have constitutional status. It will replace the earlier collegium system which dealt with the appointment and transfer of judges to the higher judiciary. show
- Dec 26, 2013 Marpadi Veerappa Moily , Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister, assumes additional charge of the Environment and Forests Ministry after the resignation of Jayanthi Natarajan as the same.
- Dec 20, 2013 Aam Aadmi Party recognised as State Party in Delhi by Election Commission. - read more
- Dec 18, 2013 The Union Cabinet clears community-neutral 'Communal Violence Prevention Bill 2013'. The bill reduces the role of the legislatures while increasing that of public servants in the handling of riots.
- Dec 17, 2013 Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung recommends imposition of President's rule in Delhi as no party or coalition is ready and capable to form government. Though parties are free to come forward any time to form government having proved majority.
- Dec 16, 2013 Lal Thanhawla (Congress) becomes the Chief Minister of Mizoram for a record fifth term. He thus has been sworn in as Chief Minister for a consecutive term for the 2nd time.
- Dec 14, 2013 Government clears amendments in 'Code of Conduct for Ministers' to prevent the misuse of bureaucracy by them, both at the Centre and in the states. Ministers now can not force civil servants to take steps which are deemed to be in conflict with their duties and responsibilities. This is the 2nd amendment to this Code of Conduct which came into being in 1964.
- Dec 05, 2013 Group of Ministers(GoM) clears Telengana draft bill, to be taken up by Cabinet now and then will be placed before Parliament. show
- Nov 30, 2013 Central laws to prevail over state rules on sand mining: National Green Tribunal show
- Nov 14, 2013 Cabinet Approves B.Sc. Community Health Course in State Universities. show
- Nov 12, 2013 UPSC(M) Paper-iii(GS-ii) : Parliament and State Legislatures- Structure, Functioning, conduct of business, powers and privileges and issues arising out of these. - read more
- Nov 12, 2013 Election Commission's Recent Guidelines On Campaigning On Social Media. - read more
- Nov 09, 2013 Government allows Collective Landing Permit for Group tourists at specific airports and seaports. The facility, however, will not be available to the nationals of Afghanistan, China, Ethiopia, Iraq, Iran, Nigeria, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and foreign nationals of Pakistani origin. The list... show
- Nov 05, 2013 Petroleum Ministery approves sale of non-subsidised 5 KG LPG Cylinders from Petrol Stations across the country. Scheme was earlier limited to sale from Select COCO (Company Owned and Company Operated) Petrol Pumps in Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai and Bangalore.
- Nov 02, 2013 Supreme Court, in a ruling empowering bureaucracy, asks bureaucrats not to act on mere oral orders from political masters stating that written orders and fixed tenures will help in promoting transparency and efficacy. show
- Oct 31, 2013 Kirit Parikh Panel constituted to advice on Pricing Methodology for Diesel, Domestic LPG and PDS Kerosene submits its report to Petroleum & Natural Gas Minister Veerappa Moily. show
- Oct 30, 2013 Center constitutes five-member committee, headed by K. Vijay Kumar, to accelerate bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh and look into the modalities of the process. It is to consider issues relating to division of assets, properties, distribution of loans and other matters such as the issues arising out of making Hyderabad common capital. show
- Oct 29, 2013 Candidate who gets maximum votes will be declared elected even if number of "None Of The Above" (NOTA) votes are more than his: Election Commission
- Oct 26, 2013 'National Commission for Scheduled Tribes' presents sixth report (for the year 2010-11) on the Working of Safeguards for Scheduled Tribes to the President.
- Oct 23, 2013 Lalu Yadav and JD(U) MP Jagdish Sharma, both convicted in the fodder scam, formally disqualified from the Lok Sabha. Earlier Congress leader Rashid Masood had become the first MP (Rajya Sabha) to formally lose his Parliament seat following Supreme Court verdict on convicted lawmakers. show
- Oct 12, 2013 Mukul Mudgal panel proposes a bill to replace The Cinematograph Act, 1952; suggests special categories of certification in its report submitted to Ministry of I & B. It was set up in February this year, in the wake of the controversy over Tamil Nadu’s ban on Vishwaroopam, to design new legal framework to regulate cinema.
- Oct 10, 2013 Government to set up 'dedicated plastic parks' to organise the plastic manufacturing and processing industry in the country.
- Oct 09, 2013 Cabinet approves 'National Identification Authority of India Bill' giving statutory status to the UIDAI. show
- Oct 09, 2013 Supreme Court rules minimum 3% reservation for disabled in all Central and state government jobs.
- Oct 05, 2013 Election Commission announces Assembly elections (from Nov 11 to Dec 4) in five states namely Delhi, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Rajasthan and Mizoram; counting to be on December 8. Voters can exercise None Of The Above (NOTA) option for the first time ever in polls.
- Oct 04, 2013 Union Cabinet approves the creation of Telangana by bifurcating the existing State of Andhra Pradesh. Hyderabad to be the common capital for initial ten years till Andhra develops a new capital.
- Oct 03, 2013 Government to withdraw Ordinance and Bill that sought to shield convicted legislators from immediate disqualification by amending Representation of People's Act . - read more
- Sep 30, 2013 UPSC (M) Paper iii (GS-II)-- Indian Constitution : Historical underpinnings and Evolution - read more
- Sep 30, 2013 Parliament passes 'Prohibition of Employment as Manual Scavengers and their Rehabilitation Bill, 2012'. - read more
- Sep 28, 2013 Supreme Court: Voter has right to reject all candidates in polls; Orders Election Commission to include "None of the Above" option in EVMs and ballot papers. - read more
- Sep 26, 2013 Government approves the constitution of the Seventh Central Pay Commission; to benefit nearly 70 lakh Central government employees and pensioners.
- Sep 25, 2013 Cabinet clears ordinance to protect convicted legislators from automatic disqualification. It will allow them to keep their seats if higher court admit their appeal and stay the sentence within 90 days of the conviction. Though they will lose salary and voting rights until the final verdict is reached.
- Sep 24, 2013 Government launches two new schemes for minorities namely “Seekho aur Kamao” and “Jiyo Parsi”. First to improve employability through skill development; second to contain population decline of Parsis in India.
- Sep 24, 2013 Supreme Court: Aadhaar (UIDAI) not mandatory to avail of government benefits; Don't issue to illegal migrants
- Sep 19, 2013 Government, under US pressure, looking to dilute nuclear liability law holding reactor suppliers liable in the event of an accident due to defective equipment.
- Sep 16, 2013 Election Commission to use VVPAT (Voter Verification Paper Audit Trail) in upcoming assembly elections in five states.
- Sep 11, 2013 Damodaran Committee constituted for Reforming the Regulatory Environment for doing Business in India, submits its Report to the Ministry of Corporate Affairs.
- Sep 07, 2013 Currency limit for people going abroad increased from 7500 to 10,000 per person.
- Sep 07, 2013 Lok Sabha approves Street Vendors (Protection of Livelihood & Regulation of Street Vending) Bill 2012.
- Sep 05, 2013 Lok Sabha Passes Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority Bill, 2011 with amendments. - read more
- Sep 04, 2013 Supreme Court withdraws ruling that only those with law qualification can head Central Information Commission or it's state counterparts; Says it was encroachment in the field of Legislation.
- Aug 30, 2013 Lok Sabha passes Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and Resettlement Bill.
- Aug 28, 2013 Rajya Sabha passes Marriage Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2010 amending the Hindu Marriage Act 1955 and the Special Marriages Act, 1954. show
- Aug 23, 2013 As per new government draft bill "convicted legislators can contest elections and retain membership during pendency of their appeals, but prohibited from voting and drawing salary".
- Aug 23, 2013 Government moves to replace collegium system of appointing judges to high court and supreme court with "Judicial Appointment Commission".
- Aug 22, 2013 Maharashtra put anti-superstition law into effect by ordinance a day after Narendra Dabholkar murder. show
- Aug 21, 2013 Uttar Pradesh government allocates 20 per cent funds of welfare schemes to minorities.
- Aug 19, 2013 The Election Commission is to introduce the VVPAT (Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail system) system (first time in India) in Nagaland Assembly By-election.
- Aug 17, 2013 West Bengal government plans to change the colour of beacons from red to green.
- Aug 13, 2013 Government tables RTI amendment bill in the Lok Sabha; seeks to keep political parties out of the ambit of the RTI Act.
- Aug 10, 2013 West Bengal to introduce reservation for Muslims in Higher education from 2014.
- Aug 10, 2013 The Parliament passes the historic Companies Bill 2012; to improve corporate governance and accountability. show
- Aug 07, 2013 Raghuram Rajan to succeed D Subbarao as the new RBI Governor; to take over as the 23rd Governor on September 5. - read more
- Aug 06, 2013 Government to amend "Wildlife Protection Act 1972" to give it more teeth; Introduces Amendment Bill in Rajya Sabha.
- Aug 03, 2013 Centre to de-link passenger fares from political process; to set up an independent body to regulate tariff.
- Aug 03, 2013 Assam on the boil over demand for separate states along ethnic lines; Bodos, Karbi, Dimasas and Koch-Rajbongshis all ask for a state of their own.
- Aug 02, 2013 Centre approves RTI draft amendment to keep political parties outside its ambit.
- Aug 01, 2013 Bihar amends Bodh Gaya temple act 1949 to allow non-hindu to head temple committee.
- Aug 01, 2013 Telangana opens floodgate of demand for smaller states; pro-Gorkhaland protest intensifies in West Bengal. show
- Jul 31, 2013 Telangana to be 29th state of India; Hyderabad joint capital with rest of Andhra Pradesh for 10 years. Ongole likely to be developed as new capital of Andhra Pradesh.
- Jul 26, 2013 Delhi court rules Batla House encounter as genuine; finds Shahzad Ahmed guilty of killing Inspector Mohan Sharma
- Jul 23, 2013 Allahabad high court reserves the judgment on UPPSC new reservation policy of opening the Un-Reserved seats for reserved categories candidates; stays the interviews of Provincial Civil Service (PCS)-2011 examinations.
- Jul 19, 2013 Palanisamy Sathasivam becomes 40th Chief Justice of India (first from Tamil Nadu), to serve till April 26, 2014.
- Jul 19, 2013 Supreme Court raises acid attack victims compensation to 3 lakh, mandates photo ID for acid purchase
- Jul 19, 2013 Government to form new committee to monitor mid-day meal scheme
- Jul 19, 2013 Government set to carve out Telangana from Andhra Pradesh. Hyderabad might be joint capital - read more
- Jul 12, 2013 Allahabad High Court bans caste-based political rallies in UP
- Jul 12, 2013 Supreme Court bars people in lawful custody from contesting elections
- Jul 11, 2013 I & B Ministry plans to put a chip into Set Top Boxes to generate authentic and real time TRPs
- Jul 11, 2013 MP, MLA to be disqualified if convicted: Supreme Court
- Jul 10, 2013 SC directs government to come out with policy on 'nationwide regulation of retail sale of acid' in a week.
- Jul 09, 2013 Government likely to pass 'Street Vendors Bill' in monsoon session
- Jul 09, 2013 Election Commission seeks views of political parties for framing guidelines on election-freebies
- Jul 06, 2013 Congress forms alliance with JMM: to form government in the state, for 2014 general election
- Jul 06, 2013 Unauthorized occupation of government bungalows would face breach of privilege proceedings in Parliament: Supreme Court
- Jul 06, 2013 Freebies promised by political parties not illegal but need regulations as it shake the roots of free and fair elections: Supreme Court
- Jul 04, 2013 Government to bring ordinance on Food Security Bill
- Jul 03, 2013 Telecom Commission sanctions hike in FDI to 100% from previous 74%.
- Jul 02, 2013 Upcoming National Cyber Security Policy to cover strategic, military, government and business assets.
- Jul 01, 2013 Bihar government set to amend the Bodhgaya Temple Act that allows Hindu majority in managing committee.
- Jul 01, 2013 Himachal Pradesh becomes first state in India to ban polythene-packed non-essential food items.
- Jun 29, 2013 Government earmarks 1.15 lakh crore for Infrastructure project, to set up 50 odd airports.
- Jun 28, 2013 Government approves Independent Coal Regularity Authority Bill, to introduce in Monsoon Session.
- Jun 26, 2013 Tamil Nadu moves SC for constitution of Cauvery Management Board to ensure implementation of final orders of Cauvery Water Dispute Tribunal.
- Jun 25, 2013 Licence of Johnson & Johnson's cosmetic plant at Mulund, Maharastra ,cancelled by FDA after it discovered use of ethylene oxide-chemical notorious for causing cancer and nausea-in baby talcum powders manufactured there.
- Jun 25, 2013 Government ready with "Right to Water" draft bill, proposes at least 25 litres water per capita.
- Jun 24, 2013 Justice Sathasivam will be the next Chief Justice of India, to take oath on July 19.
- Jun 20, 2013 'Right to life and liberty covers foreign nationals too' observes Supreme Court. Reprimand Mumbai police for detaining Ugandan citizens for business dispute with Vodafone.