J&K CM Mufti Mohammad Sayeed passes away
Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir, Mufti Mohammad Sayeed passed away today in New Delhi following multiple organ failure. He was 79. He was undertreatment at the hospital since Decemeber 24, 2015. He was detected with sepsis, decreased blood counts and pneumonia.
Since he was the serving as the Chief Minister of J&K the post lies vaccant after his death. Sayeed's other daughter Mehbooba Mufti is considered his political heir who will hopefully succeed the chief minister's chair in Jammu and Kashmir.
Facts about Mufti Mohammad Sayeed :
- Mufti Mohammad Sayeed was born on 12 January 1936 in Bijbehara district of South Kashmir.
- Mr Sayeed, was a two time chief minister of Jammu and Kashmir and had started his second tenure on March 1st, 2015 in alliance with the BJP.
- He had previously led J&K as it's chief minister between 2002-05. He was also Home Minister of India from December 1989 to November 1990.
Political party :
>Login To Save for Revision
- Mohammad Sayeed had been a member of the Indian National Congress party until 1987 but in 1987, he parted away with the Congress party to join V. P. Singh's Jan Morcha, after which he became the first Muslim Minister for Home Affairs in the Union Cabinet of India in 1989.
- He was the founder of the Jammu and Kashmir People's Democratic Party (JKPDP) that he founded in 1999 to persuade "the Indian government into an unconditional dialogue with the Kashmiri people."
- Ministry of Water Resources launches Ganga Gram Yojana launched
Union Minister of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Uma Bharti launched Ganga Gram Yojana to develop 1600 villages in Uttar Pradesh (UP) situated along the banks of Ganga River. The scheme was launched at Village Puth in Hapur district of Uttar Pradesh (UP).
Key facts about the scheme :
- In the first phase of the progamme 200 villages have been selected.In these villages open drains falling into river Ganga will be diverted and alternative arrangements for sewage treatment will be made. The villages will have toilets in every house hold. It is proposed to incur and expenditure of Rs. One crore on every village.
- These villages will be developed under the Sichewal model. It may be noted that Sichewal is situated in Punjab, where cooperation of the villagers has been solicited for the water management and waste disposal in a meticulous way.
Union Minister of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation also deployed the first company of Ganga Task force Battalion at Garhmukteshwar to fast track implementation of Namami Gange Programme.>Login To Save for Revision
- Apurvi Chandela Sets World Record in 10m Air Rifle at Swedish Cup Grand Prix
Indian shooter Apurvi Chandela has made a new world record in the women’s 10 metre air rifle event at the 2015 Swedish Cup Grand Prix. She made a world record after winning gold medal in the women’s 10 metre air rifle event shooting score of 211.2. Her score surpassed the feat of Chinese Olympic gold medallist Yi Siling, who held the record with 211.
The silver and bronze went to Swedish shooters Astrid Steffensen (207.6) and Stine Nielsen (185.0). In December 2015 Chandela had won the gold at the National Championships representing Rajasthan. She had won an Olympic quota place for India after winning a bronze at the ISSF World Cup in Changwon, South Korea, in April.>Login To Save for Revision
- Filippo Grandi of Italy appointed as UN High Commissioner for Refugees
Filippo Grandi of Italy, a senior UN official has taken the charge as new UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). Filippo Grandi will succeed Antonio Guterres of Portugal who has retired after heading the Refugee Agency for 10 years. He will have tenure of five years.
Filippo Grandi :
- Filippo Grandi an Italian diplomat has worked in international affairs for over 30 years, of which 27 years he spent with the United Nations. Formerly he was heading UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA).
- Previously he had worked for the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) as Deputy Special Representative, following a long career first with NGOs and later with UNHCR in Africa, Asia, the Middle East and at the organization's Geneva headquarters.
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) :
UNHCR is a UN Refugee Agency that works worldwide to protect, assist and find solutions for refugees, internally displaced people and stateless populations. Initially it was established with an aim to help people displaced by World War II. But later it became the principal agency that has helped displaced persons all over world.
Headquartered: Geneva, Switzerland
Established: December 14, 1950
Objective : Safeguard the political and human rights as well as well-being of refugees. Seek lasting solutions to the plights of refugees>Login To Save for Revision
- India to grow at 7.8 per cent in current year: World Bank
According to the Global Economic Prospect report released by the World Bank, India is projected to grow by a robust 7.8 per cent this year and 7.9 per cent in the next two years. In contrast to other major developing countries, growth in India remained robust, and supported by strong investor sentiment and the positive effect on real incomes of the recent fall in oil prices.
Growth rate :
- Estimated growth rate for India : For FY 2016-17, India, will be dominant economy in the region. It is projected to grow at a faster 7.8 per cent while growth in Pakistan (on a factor cost basis) is expected to accelerate to 4.5 per cent.
- Estimated growth rate for China : Chinese growth is projected to slow further. The report estimates that China grew at an estimated 6.9 per cent in 2015 and it is estimated to grow at 6.7 per cent in 2016 and 6.5 per cent each in 2017 and 2018.
- Estimated growth rate for Russia and Brazil : Russia and Brazil are expected to remain in recession in 2016.
Key facts :
>Login To Save for Revision
- Failure to pass the Goods and Services Tax bill by Parliament may hamper the Indian government's ability to increase the infrastructure spending.
- Slow progress on land reforms can lead to investment delays and the financing of public-private partnerships also remains a challenge.
- India has smaller trade links with China than other regions, and is a net importer of oilso it will benefit from lower global energy prices.
- More than 40 per cent of the world's poor live in the developing countries where growth slowed in 2015.
- Government approves MoU with Bangladesh for operation of Border Haats
The union cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given it's ex-post-facto approval to a memorandum of understanding (MoU) between India and Bangladesh for setting up 'Border Haats'.
The Border Haats aim at establishing a traditional system of marketing local produce thorough local markets in local currency or barter basis, thereby promoting the well-being of the people dwelling in remote areas across the boundary of the two countries. It helps to improve economic well-being of marginalised sections of society.
An agreement was signed in 2010 to establish Border Haats at selected areas, including on the Meghalaya border, to allow traders in communities of both India and Bangladesh to trade their local produce without any duty.
Presently 4 Border Haats are already operational along India-Bangladesh border which are Kalaichar (Meghalaya), Balat (Meghalaya), Kamlasagar (Tripura), Srinagar (Tripura). In addition to these hats both Governments also have agreed to further establish 2 Border Haats in Tripura and 4 Border Haats in Meghalaya along the border.
Most Popular Stories
Like us ?
By solving 2 + 2 won't make you genius or by liking Sai Baba post won't make you successful. But if you read boring current affairs delivered by erewise then it will certainly help you crack your exams.
Erewise is a revision web portal especially designed & dedicated to students who want to make it big in the world through their academic skills and talents.
We cater to the needs of those who seek career in high offices by cracking competitive exams like SSC, UPSC, Banking, State PCS and others by providing them with comprehensive and interactive learning contents that keep them abreast with the relevant news and events around the world in an appealing way.
Write for us
You can now write your ideas/views on the current affairs and let all others to read them by publishing them on our website.
It's a golden chance to analyse your state of preparations by writing on daily current events and reviewing response/comments received on them.