1971 Indo-Pak War hero, Lt Gen Jacob passes away
Lt Gen JFR Jacob (retd), who played a key role in India's victory in the Indo-Pakistan War of 1971 and the Liberation of Bangladesh passed away in New Delhi. He was 92.
About Jacob-Farj-Rafael "JFR" Jacob :
Lt Gen Jacob was born in the Bengal Presidency under British India, in 1923. He joined the army at the age of 19 and fought in World War II and the Indo-Pakistan War of 1965 before he retired in 1978.
Jacob was the Chief of Staff of the Indian Army's Eastern Command during the 1971 India-Pakistan war that led to Pakistan's eastern wing seceding and becoming an independent Bangladesh.
Books authored : Surrender at Dacca: Birth of a Nation, An Odyssey in War and Peace: An Autobiography Lt Gen. J.F.R. Jacob.
Awards and Honours : Commendation of Merit, Param Vishisht Seva Medal>Login To Save for Revision
- BSNL launches 4G services in Chandigarh
State-run telecom service provider Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) has started 4G services on non-commercial basis in Chandigarh promising broadband speed of up to 100 megabit per second (Mbps).
With this launch Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited became the fifth telecom service provider in India to launch 4G service after Airtel (1st), Aircel (2nd), Vodafone (3rd) and Reliance Jio (4th).
Facts to know :
- BSNL 4G services will provide broadband speed of up to 100 megabit per second (Mbps) through which users can download large files of 1 GB with few seconds which takes long time currently on slow 2G and 3G.
- BSNL will aid govt agencies by providing 4G services for video camera surveillance, traffic management solutions and home- land security service in India.
- BSNL has 4G spectrum across India except in Gujarat, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Kolkata. It has entered into an agreement with Reliance Jio to offer high speed services to its customers.
Request For Proposal : BSNL will issue request for proposal (RFP) to launch 4G services across circles where it has 2500 Mhz spectrum on revenue share basis.The company selected through RFP will manage the networks while BSNL would share its revenue the successful bidder. It has been expanding its footprint on this model wherein it provides only bandwidth and the infrastructure is set up by its partner>Login To Save for Revision
- Govt. launches exclusive web portal for ITBP recruitment
Union Govt. has launched a dedicated website for aspirants seeking recruitment in border guarding force Indo Tibetan Border Police Force (ITBP) which works under the command of the Union Home Ministry.The website is the first-ever initiative by any paramilitary force in the country to help young men and women gain entry in central forces .
The launched website provides information about the maximum number of career opportunities in the force, vacancies, pay scales and results and other relevant subjects. Online applications for various posts can also be submitted through this portal. ITBP has received the government sanction to raise at least ten new battalions for border guarding and other duties.
Indo Tibetan Border Police Force :
Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) one of the five Central Armed Police Forces of India. The ITBP was intended for deployment along India's border with Chinese-occupied Tibet.
Established: It was raised on 24 October 1962, under the CRPF Act, in the wake of the Sino-Indian War of 1962.
The ITBP, started with 4 battalions and now it has undergone expansion to a force of 45 battalions with 4 more being raised as of 2013
Role : The ITBP is trained in Civil Medical Camp, disaster management, and nuclear, biological and chemical disasters.>Login To Save for Revision
- President gives his approval to The Sugar Cess (Amendment) Bill, 2015
President Pranab Mukherjee has given his assent to the Sugar Cess (Amendment) Bill, 2015, raising the ceiling of the impost from Rs 25 to Rs 200 per quintal, a measure that will help sugarcane growers and cash-starved mills.
The bill was passed by Lok Sabha on December 15 after it was declared a money bill. The opposition members in the Rajya Sabha opposed the consideration of the bill hence as required under the rules of the Indian constitution under Article 111 President gave his assent and the bill became a law.
The Sugar Cess (Amendment) Act, 2015, which has amended the Sugar Cess Act, 1982 which provides for the imposition of a cess as an excise duty on the production of sugar.
The hike in sugar cess would lead to increase in the accruals to the Sugar Development Fund, which facilitates rehabilitation and modernisation of sugar mills, thereby helping cane growers.>Login To Save for Revision
- MoU between India and Maldives for Health
The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has given its ex-post facto approval for the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Maldives on co-operation in the field of health.
Objective of the MoU : This MoU will facilitate greater cooperation between the two countries, especially for assisting Maldives for development of human resources and facilities for healthcare. Enhanced cooperation in the field of health will foster great friendship and relations between the two countries.
The main areas of co-operation under the MoU includes :
>Login To Save for Revision
- Exchange & training of medical doctors, officials, other health professionals and experts;
- Assistance in development of human resources and setting up of health care facilities;
- Medical and health research development;
- Management of healthcare sector and public health services;
- Procurement of generic and essential drugs and assistance in sourcing of drug supplies;
- Health promotion and disease prevention;
- Traditional and; complementary Medicine
- Kerala becomes first state to achieve 100% primary education
Kerala has become the first state in the country to achieve total primary education. In this regard a declaration was made by the Vice President of India Hamid Ansari on 12 January 2016 at a special ceremony organised at Thiruvananthapuram in Kerala.
The success of Kerala in achieving total primary education can be attributed to various initiatives undertaken by the Kerala Literacy Mission in the last two decades and mainly it's flagship primary education equivalency drive Athulyam Scheme.
About Athulyam Scheme :
>Login To Save for Revision
- 'Athulyam scheme' launched by the Kerala govt aimed at providing primary school education to all within the age group of 15 to 50 years. Through this scheme the state govt. ensured that everyone from 15 to 50 years must have the minimum educational qualification of a 4th grade.
- The main goal of the scheme was to educate that section of society which was unable to complete their primary education up to fourth standard. 'Athulyam scheme" mainly targeted deprived section of society i.e, the scheduled caste, scheduled tribe, physically, financially weak and mentally disabled among others.
- The state level literacy mission aimed at educating those who had been unable to complete their primary education up to fourth standard. The mission mainly focused on deprived sections viz. the scheduled caste, scheduled tribe, physically, financially weak and mentally disabled among others.
- Nitin Gadkari inaugurates 2nd Liquid Chemical Berth of Mumbai Port Trust
Union Minister for Shipping, Shri Nitin Gadkari inaugurated Mumbai Port Trust’s second liquid chemical berth at Pir Pau, Mumbai. With commissioning of this berth, the cargo handling capacity of the Port will increase by 2.5 MMT (Million Metric Tonnes) per annum.
Facts to know about Second Liquid Chemical Berth :
- The total project cost for this Second Liquid Chemical Berth was Rs.127 crores.
- The safety standards provided at this facility are conforming to the Oil Industry Safety Directorate ( OISD) norms.
- The berth is designed to handle 55000 DWT vessels carrying liquid bulk chemicals and POL products, which can be upgraded to 65000 DWT in future.
Most Popular Stories
Like us ?
By solving 2 + 2 won't make you genius or by liking Sai Baba post won't make you successful. But if you read boring current affairs delivered by erewise then it will certainly help you crack your exams.
Erewise is a revision web portal especially designed & dedicated to students who want to make it big in the world through their academic skills and talents.
We cater to the needs of those who seek career in high offices by cracking competitive exams like SSC, UPSC, Banking, State PCS and others by providing them with comprehensive and interactive learning contents that keep them abreast with the relevant news and events around the world in an appealing way.
Write for us
You can now write your ideas/views on the current affairs and let all others to read them by publishing them on our website.
It's a golden chance to analyse your state of preparations by writing on daily current events and reviewing response/comments received on them.
- BSNL launches 4G services in Chandigarh