World's tallest, largest tricolour hoisted at Ranchi
Union Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar hoisted India's tallest and largest Tricolour atop the famous Pahari Mandir in Ranchi on the occasion of 119th birth anniversary of freedom fighter Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose. This flag will remain hoisted for 24 hours and shall be illuminated with the help of twenty sodium vapour lights at night.
Ranchi's popular Pahari Mandir where the flag has been hosted is remembered by the local people as the 'Fansi Dungri' (hanging point) because this was a place of cruel executions of freedom fighter by the British forces but today at the same place India hosted it's largest and the tallest tricolour as a symbol of it's voctory over the colonial past.
Dimensions of flag : It measures 66 feet in height and 99 feet in width in the proper ratio 2:3. It was hoisted on pole with height of 293 feet. It weighs 80 kg.
Previous such record : In March 2015 the world’s tallest national flag was raised at Faridabad (Haryana) at a height of 246 feet. The flag was unfurled by Bhartiya Janta Party (BJP) President Amit Shah in an event organised by Nav Chetna Trust which is formed to work on social issues like beti bachao and swachh bharat.>Login To Save for Revision
- Cabinet clears President's rule in Arunachal Pradesh
The union cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi recommended imposition of President's Rule in Congress-ruled Arunachal Pradesh, which is facing a political turmoil under Article 356 (1) of the Indian Constitution.
Taking cognisance of the situation in the State, based on Governor Jyoti Prashad Rajkhowa’s report the Union Cabinet felt that the State was heading for a “constitutional breakdown" so the Union Cabinet recommend to the President to issue a proclamation under Article 356(1) of the Constitution.
The Centre based its decision on Article 174 (sessions of the state legislature, prorogation and dissolution) of the Constitution according to which ,the session of state assembly was to be held on 21st January 2016, six months after the last sitting. But the state assembly failed to comply with this provision which may led to constitutional breakdown.
Arunachal Pradesh was rocked by a political crisis on December 16, 2015 as 21 rebel Congress MLAs joined hands with 11 of BJP and two independents to 'impeach' Assembly Speaker Nabam Rebia at a makeshift venue i.e, outside the Assembly building but this move been disputed by Chief Minister Nabam Tuki and his supporters. Whether this session is valid or not is under litigation in the Supreme Court.
Even if the Supreme Court rules in favour of the interpretation that this session was not valid, there will be a constitutional breakdown because the requirement of Article 174(1) would have been breached. On the other hand, if the court holds that the December 16 session was valid, it is clear the government is in a minority and is not allowing a vote of confidence therefore , in either case, the State is heading for a constitutional crisis.>Login To Save for Revision
- National Girl Child Day observed on January 24
National girl child day is celebrated annually on 24th of January to increase the awareness among people regarding inequalities faced by the girl child in the society. Girls face inequality in education, nutrition, legal rights, medical care, protection, honour, child marriage and many other sectors.
There are 1029 women per 1000 men in North America and 1076 women per 1000 men in Europe, but there are only 927 women per 1000 men in India.Sex selection of the before birth and neglect of the female child after birth, in childhood and, during the teenage years is the main cause of poor sex ratio in India.
A male child is considered a blessing and his birth is celebrated as opposed to a female child where her birth is not celebrated and is considered more of a burden. In India irrespective of the caste, creed, religion and social status, the overall status of a woman is lower than men and therefore a male child is preferred over a female child.
Schemes for promoting Girl Child
- Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao : It aims to generate awareness and improving the efficiency of welfare services meant for women. The scheme was initiated with an initial corpus of Rs.100 crore.
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account : Sukanya Samriddhi Account is a saving scheme targeted at the parents of girl children. The scheme encourages parents to build a fund for the future education and marriage expenses for their female child.
- Dhanalaksmi : It to make cash transfer to the girl child family to fulfil the basic needs such as immunization, birth registration, school enrollment and maintenance up to the Class VIII.
The objective of all these initiatives is to work towards ensuring that girls are born, loved and nurtured and grow up to become empowered citizens of this country with equal rights and opportunities.>Login To Save for Revision
- Tabla maestro Pandit Shankar Ghosh passes away
Eminent tabla player Pandit Shankar Ghosh passed away on 22nd Jan, 2016 at a private city hospital in Kolkata following a prolonged illness. He was 80 years old. Pandit Shankar Ghosh was one of the best tabla players in the country. He was from the Farukhabad gharana of Hindustani classical music.
Facts about Pandit Shankar Ghosh
He started learning taleem in 1953 under Pandit Gyan Prakash Ghosh of Calcutta, who pioneered the concept of tabla ensembles. His other gurus were Pt. Gyan Prakash Ghosh,Ustad Feroz Khan, Pandit Anath Nath Bose and Pandit Sudarshan Adhikari.
Musical Career : He started his career in 1960s with sarod maestro, Ustad Ali Akbar Khan and won rave reviews for his ‘jugalbandi’ performances . He also performed with vocalists such as Pandit Omkarnath Thakur, Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan, Girija Devi, Pandit Vinayakrao Patwardhan and Akhtari Bai. At international level, he had collaborated with artists like Pete Lockett, Greg Ellis and John Bergamo.
Awards and Honours : Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 2000, ITC Sangeet Research Academy award and the Ustad Hafiz Ali Khan award.>Login To Save for Revision
- First Solar Power operated Mini-Water Supply Plant commissioned in Maharashtra
The first Solar Power operated Mini-Water Supply Plant of Maharashtra has been commissioned in Hingna village of Mouda Taluka in Nagpur district.The Solar Pump Unit has been installed on experimental basis by Rite Water Solutions under the supervision of the Zilla Parishad authorities. The village with six hundred households is now getting pure water for a very low cost which can easily be borne by the Gram Panchayat.
Advantages of the system
- The system runs completely on solar power for which 1800 Watt panels have been installed. It delivers 10,000 Litres of purified water every day.
- It filters the nitrate content and other harmful substances from water so as to prevent the ill effects of toxicated water on the health of villagers
- The solar operated plant uses effective and environment-friendly cleaner technology that serves the purpose of rural India
- It alleviate the difficulties being faced by the local bodies in payment of hefty water supply bills, because it provides quality water at affordable cost.
Ground Water Nitrification
The menace of nitrate in the ground water is becoming a major challenge in most parts of the country which is a man-made problem arising out of excessive use of fertilizers in agriculture. The problem is more prominent in Vidarbha region where nitrate content is more than four times than the permissible level so this Solar Power operated Mini-Water Supply Plant can help to curb the problem bypurifying the water for drinking purpose.>Login To Save for Revision
- PV Sindhu wins Malaysia Masters title
Ace Indian Shuttler and two-time World Championship bronze-medallist, India’s P.V. Sindhu (World No.12) has bagged the 2016 Malaysia Masters Grand Prix Gold Badminton title by defeating Scotland’s Kirsty Gilmour (World No.20) with an score of 21-15, 21-9 in the final match played at Penang.
This is her second Malaysia Masters Grand Prix Gold title, having won it in 2013 as well. It was overall fifth career Grand prix gold title and first title of the season 2016.
Other winners of 2016 Malaysia Masters Grand Prix
>Login To Save for Revision
- Women’s doubles category: Misaki Matsutomo and Ayaka Takahashi from Japan.
- Mixed doubles category: Zheng Siwei and Li Yinhui from China.
- Men’s singles category: Lee Chong Wei from Malaysia.
- Men’s doubles category: Markus Fernaldi Gideon and Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo from Indonesia.
- ONGC gets environmental clearance for project in Krishna-Godavari basin
State owned Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited, ONGC has got environmental clearance for drilling 45 development wells and other related infrastructure involving a cost of over Rs. 53,000 crore in the Krishna-Godavari basin in Andhra Pradesh.
ONGC's proposal is to drill 45 development wells, set up a FPSO (Floating Production Storage and Offloading) facility, offshore fixed platform, subsea production systems.The proposed project,will be implemented in the northern discovery area of NELP-I offshore block KG-DW N-98/2
The proposed development drilling and subsequent development of fields would lead to the production of 51.33 billion cubic metres of gas over a period of 16 years and 26.71 million cubic metres of oil in 12 years.
- ONGC has been asked to obtain Coastal Regulation Zone (CRZ) clearance, approval from the Directorate General of Shipping for the commencement of drilling
- ONGC has also been asked to use high-efficiency diesel generator sets, adopt conservation measures to protect marine life and develop waste minimisation plan.
Most Popular Stories
Like us ?
By solving 2 + 2 won't make you genius or by liking Sai Baba post won't make you successful. But if you read boring current affairs delivered by erewise then it will certainly help you crack your exams.
Erewise is a revision web portal especially designed & dedicated to students who want to make it big in the world through their academic skills and talents.
We cater to the needs of those who seek career in high offices by cracking competitive exams like SSC, UPSC, Banking, State PCS and others by providing them with comprehensive and interactive learning contents that keep them abreast with the relevant news and events around the world in an appealing way.
Write for us
You can now write your ideas/views on the current affairs and let all others to read them by publishing them on our website.
It's a golden chance to analyse your state of preparations by writing on daily current events and reviewing response/comments received on them.
- Cabinet clears President's rule in Arunachal Pradesh