Shyamaprasad Mukherjee Jan Van Vikas Scheme approved by Maharashtra cabinet
- Maharashtra Cabinet approved Shyamaprasad Mukherjee Jan Van Vikas Scheme. The scheme was proposed by Forest Minister Sudhir Mungantiwar in the state’s annual budget it aims at creation of comprehensive development of villages in and around the buffer zones of tiger reserves. Shyamaprasad Mukherjee Jan Van Vikas Scheme will be launched on project basis from 2015-16 to 2019-2020
- The main objective of the Shyamaprasad Mukherjee Jan Van Vikas Scheme is to reduce the reduce the dependence of villagers on the forest by boosting the supplementary businesses to farming activities and create alternative employment possibilities to the villagers in these areas.The scheme also aims to reduce man-animal conflict.
Facts related to Tigers in India:-
- India is home to 70 percent of tigers in the world
- In 2006, there were 1,411 tigers which increased to 1,706 in 2011 and 2,226 in 2014
- There are 48 Tiger reserves in India which are governed by Project Tiger
- Karnataka has the highest tiger population in the country while Uttarakhand comes at second
Image source : travel.india>Login To Save for Revision
- Two members of Anglo-Indian Community nominated to Lok Sabha
- President Pranab Mukherjee has nominated two members of Anglo-Indian Community to Lok Sabha using his authority provided by Article 331 in the Constitution Of India.
- Prof. Richard Hay and Mr. George Baker are the two members of Anglo-Indian Community who has been nominated to Lok Sabha
Prof. Richard Hay
Professor Hay is from Kerala and he teaches economics in various academic institutes in India as well as abroad
Mr. George Baker
Mr Baker had joined BJP in 2014 and unsuccessfully contested on a party ticket from Howrah in West Bengal. Mr Baker, has acted in several Assamese and Bengali movies since 1970s. Baker's most notable film was 'Chameli Memsaab' (Assamese and Bengali) which won national film award in 1975.
Article 331 Representation of the Anglo-Indian community in the House of the People
Article 331 Representation of the Anglo Indian community in the House of the People says that President may, if he is of opinion that the Anglo-Indian community is not adequately represented in the House of the People, nominate not more than two members of that community to the Lok Sabha notwithstanding anything in article 81 which depicts composition of the Lok Sabha
Article 81 "Composition of the House of the People"
Article 81"Composition of the House of the People" says that 530 members are chosen by direct election from States while 20 members are directly elected representatives from Union Territories and 2 members from Anglo-Indian Community which makes the total number of members of Loka Sabha to 552.
Image source :indiatvnews>Login To Save for Revision
- Indian American Amitoj Chhabra wins junior title at US Powerlifting Championships
Indian Americans have always been a cause of glory and pride for India they have always set a milestone in their respective fields.
- A 20-year old Indian-American Amitoj Chhabra won the junior title at the latest United States Powerlifting Association National Championships 2015 in Las Vegas
- Amitoj Chhabra lifted a total of 1,383 pounds at the US Powerlifting Association National Championships which was held at the Golden Nugget Casino in in Las Vegas
- Chhabra squatted 485 pounds, bench pressed 325 and deadlifted 573 at United States Powerlifting Association National Championshipship
- Amitoj Chhabra began powerlifting in December 2013 and began competing in May 2014 he is training with Adam Lauritzen of Silverback Strength and Conditioning in Reno.
Amitoj Chhabra is the son of a Punjabi father and a Nepali mother, holds seven Nevada state powerlifting records, three in the 18-19 age division and his goal is to lift 2,000 pounds total, and to compete with international elite powerlifters.
Image source :ibnlive>Login To Save for Revision
- Ajay Mathur takes over the charge of TERI as it's new chief
- Ajay Mathur who is currently serving as director-general of the bureau of energy efficiency, has been appointed as the new DG of TERI .
- Ajay Mathur has a vast experience since he has served in leadership positions at the World Bank as director, interim secretariat, Green Climate Fund in Bonn, and in the private sector in India.
- The decision to appoint Ajay Mathur as the Director General of TERI was taken by Governing Council (GC) of TERI at its meeting held in Bangalore .
- Ajay Mathur will succeed Eminent scientist RK Pachauri who was removed from the top most position over sexual harassment charges
The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI)
TERI is a research institute based in New Delhi that conducts research work in the fields of energy, environment and sustainable development
TERI was established in 1974 with a focus on formulating local- and national-level strategies for shaping global solutions to critical issues.In 2013, the institute was ranked as the topmost global think-tank by the International Centre for Climate Governance (ICCG)
Story behind the birth of "The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI)"
The origins of TERI lie in Mithapur, a remote town in Gujarat, where a TATA engineer, Darbari Seth, was concerned about the enormous quantities of energy his factory spent on desalination. He proposed the idea of a research institute to tackle the depletion of natural resources and energy scarcity. J. R. D. Tata, chairman of the TATA Group, liked the idea and accepted the proposal. TERI was set up with a modest corpus of 35 million rupees.
Image source :www.teriin.org>Login To Save for Revision
- Lupin acquires US pharmaceutical firm Gavis
- Indian pharmaceuticals company had it's fifth foreign acquisition within 18 months as it agreed to buy US-based Gavis Pharmaceuticals LLC for $880 million (over Rs 5,600 crore)
- This is the largest acquisition by any Indian pharmaceuticals company after Dr Reddy's purchase of Germany's betapharm for $572 million in 2006.
- The deal, finalised through a competitive bidding process would increase its presence in the world’s largest pharma market as Lupin may get its first US plant through Gavis.
- New Jersey based GAVIS is a privately held company specialising in formulation development, manufacturing, packaging, sales, marketing, and distribution of pharmaceuticals products.
- Gavis recorded sales of $96 million in FY 2014 and has over 250 New Jersey based employees. Last year the Lupin had acquired Laboratories Grin SA in Mexico, the fourth largest drugmaker in the country.
Image source : indianexpress
Most Popular Stories
Like us ?
By solving 2 + 2 won't make you genius or by liking Sai Baba post won't make you successful. But if you read boring current affairs delivered by erewise then it will certainly help you crack your exams.
Erewise is a revision web portal especially designed & dedicated to students who want to make it big in the world through their academic skills and talents.
We cater to the needs of those who seek career in high offices by cracking competitive exams like SSC, UPSC, Banking, State PCS and others by providing them with comprehensive and interactive learning contents that keep them abreast with the relevant news and events around the world in an appealing way.
Write for us
You can now write your ideas/views on the current affairs and let all others to read them by publishing them on our website.
It's a golden chance to analyse your state of preparations by writing on daily current events and reviewing response/comments received on them.