FIFA World Cup 2014: A glance
The much awaited football world cup, one of the largest sports extravaganza, is going to take place this year in Brazil from June 12 to July 13.
- Lets delves into some of the interesting facts worth knowing this summer.
- This is the 20th edition of FIFA World Cup which had begun in 1930 in Uruguay.
- Brazil will be hosting it for the 2nd time after the first in 1950.
- The host nation was elected as such unopposed way back in 2007 itself.
- Overall South America is hosting the mega event for the 5th time with previous 4 being in
- 1930 (Uruguay), 1950 (Brazil), 1962 (Chile) and the last one way back in 1978 (Argentina).
- A total of 64 matches are to be played in 12 cities across Brazil.
- FIFA, the highest governing body, is going to use the goal-line technology for the first time in world cup history.
- The presence of all the world champion teams since 1930 (Uruguay, Italy, Germany, England, Argentina, France and Spain) is sure to raise the level of competition for the coveted trophy.
- All previous four World Cups staged in South America have been lifted by South American teams: Uruguay in 1930 & 1950, Brazil in 1962 and host Argentina in 1978.
- For the first time ever Europe is deprived of hosting two consecutive World Cups - the last one was in South Africa.
- 32 teams have been divided into 8 groups with 4 nations in each.
- The Official Logo: "Inspiration" - created by Brazilian agency 'Africa' (shown in the picture above)
- The official slogan: "All in One Rhythm"
- Each world cup since 1962 has had an official song and this time its no different;
- The anthem "We Are One" by Pitbull, Jennifer Lopez and Claudia Leitte has this distinction this world cup.
- The Official Mascot: The tatu-bola, an armadillo that defends itself from predators by rolling up into a ball.
- The Official Ball: "Brazuca" manufactured by Adidas