Germany lifts another Champions Trophy
Germany is the new champion of Champions Trophy hockey.
The 9-time winner added another title to their glorious record by beating Pakistan 2-0 in the final of the Champions Trophy 2014.
India lost the Bronze medal match to Australia to finish fourth.
- The 35th edition of the tournament was held in Bhubaneswar.
- The tournament will hereafter shift to a biennial cycle to accomodate the Hockey World League.
- World's top-ranked teams - presently 8 - compete in a round robin format to win the coveted gold medal.
- Pakistani Air Marshal Nur Khan founded the tournament in 1978 alongwith the Pakistan Hockey Federation.
- A parallel tournament for women is also organized every two years - beginning 1987.
Most Successful teams:
- Australia with 13 titles.
- Germans comes second with 10 while Dutch are closed on the heels with eight.
- Pakistan is the only Asian presence with 3 trophies - last one in 1994 (1978 & 1980)
Previous Champion: Australia
In the women's category, Netherlands, Australia and Argentina are joint toppers with six trophies each.
- Few Pakistani player made obscene gestures to the Indian crowd after winning the cliff-hanger semifinal match with the host country.
- International Hockey Federation (FIH) ultimately suspended two of them - Amjad Ali and Mohammad Tousiq - from playing in the final after vehement protest by India.
- India had threatened to boycott hosting all FIH tournaments in near future - when the world body had let the guilty get away with light reprimand.