Indian prisoners in Nigeria can now come back home
India is set to ink a treaty with Nigeria on transfer of prisoners.
The Union cabinet has given the approval for the signing of this prisoner-swap treaty.
It will help prisoners of both nationalities locked up in the other country to serve the remaining part of their sentence in the home nation.
List of nations with which we have this agreement
- United Kingdom, Mauritius, Bulgaria, Brazil, Cambodia, Egypt, France, Bangladesh, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Kuwait, Sri Lanka, UAE, Maldives, Thailand, Turkey, Italy, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Israel, Russia and Vietnam.
- Negotiations have also been concluded with Canada, Hong Kong, Australia and Spain.
- There was no such legislation in India - prior to 2004 and until the arrival of Repatriation of Prisoners Act, 2003 - for transfer of prisoners with another country.
- However, a treaty is required to be signed with respective countries for this to go through.
- Nigeria will be the 35th country to sign this prisoner-swap agreement with India.