Indian Women Archery recurve team wins 2nd successive World cup gold medal
The Indian Women Archery recurve team of Laishram Bombayla Devi, Rimil Buriuly and Deepika Kumari gave one of their best performances to beat mighty Koreans in the Finals of the World Cup archery stage 4 at Wraclow, Poland to win their second successive gold medal. They beat former world champion and London Olympic Gold medallist Korea 219-215 in the final.
- The same team had won gold at the World cup Stage 3 at Medellin, Colombia, then beating China in the final.
However despite this Deepika Kumari (recurve archer ) will be the only Indian Archer eligible to compete at the World Cup finals (culmination of the 4 stage World cup tournaments) at Paris in September 2013
- This will be her 4th straight finals in 4 years, an Indian record. [first in 2010- Edinburgh, Scotland (5th rank) ; Second in 2011 and Third in 2012, London (Silver medal in both)].
- She bettered Jayanta Talukdar who held the record with three appearances in World Cup finals- 2006, 2009 and 2010 (bronze medal).
- Dola Banerjee : only Indian who won gold in World Cup finals (her 1st World cup at Dubai, 2007).
Deepika’s performance in This Year’s World Cup : Overall Rank- 3rd (Total 45 points cumulative of all the 4 stage World Cup) ; Stage 1 Shanghai – Silver ; Stage 2 Anatalya - no medals ; Stage 3 Medellin – 12 points and Stage 4 Wroclaw -12 points
- Other notable player was Rajat Chauhan (Compound archery) who narrowly missed World cup Final’s birth by two point on account of his good performances in Stage 1-3.