Joint Indo-Russian military training exercise 'INDRA 2013' held
Joint INDO-RUSSIAN military training exercise, “EXERCISE INDRA 2013”, is being held at the Mahajan Field Firing Range, Jaisalmer (under South Western Command of the Army). Mechanized combat groups of both the country are taking part in the exercise – very first time that India and Russia are holding joint exercise at combat group level (Battalion level exercises).
Objective : to improve interoperability, joint functionality and coordination between both the forces so as to be better prepared and act as a integrated army for any future UN PeaceKeeping Missions elsewhere.
Exercise Activities : joint battle reconnaissance, intelligence collation, terrain evaluation, simulated destruction of illegal armed forces, "tank firing competition"
- 'Indra 2012' : August 2012, at Ulan Ude in the Republic of Buryatia, Russisa.
- Total Five 'Indra' series of joint military exercises Since 2003
Strategic Objective :
- India and Russia are strategic partners and with the withdrawal of international forces from Afghanistan in 2014, situation may arise where they may have to collaborate.
- Russian interest in seeing India in future as a possible participant in multinational forces under SCO (Shanghai Cooperation Organization) and CSTO (Collective Security Treaty Organization).
Some Other Joint Exercises of India***
- Naseem Al Bahr Series : Indian and Oman Navy’s Biennial Naval Exercise (the last ,9th Naseem Al Bahr exercise was held in September 2013 off Oman coast).
- Yudh Abhyas series : Indian & US joint Military exercise (since 2005)
Malabar Series :Joint Exercise of Indian and US Navy
HABUNAG : joint Indo-United States Naval Exercise (the last HABUNAG-2010 was held in Okinawa, Japan where US maintains a base)
Red Flag : Aerial combat training exercise held annually at Nevada and Alaska air base, USA. Like many other NATO nations and allies of US, India also takes part in it.
- Varuna Series : Joint Exercise of Indian and French Navy since 2001 (8 so far; last in March 2006)
- GARUDA Series : India and U.K. Airforce Joint exercise
- HAND IN HAND Series: India and China (all services)
- SIMBEX : India and Singapore Joint Naval exercise
***The list is not an exhaustive one and does not mention all the Joint-exercise of India. Only some random Joint Exercises are being listed here.