Karnataka is the Ranji Champion; again
2014-15 Ranji Trophy goes to Karnataka !
Riding on the maiden triple ton by Karun Nair (338), Karnataka successfully defended their title by beating Tamil Nadu in the final.
They crushed their neighbour by an inning and 217 runs to lift their 2nd successive and 8th overall Ranji Trophy.
- The Ranji Trophy is a premier domestic cricket tournament of India.
- The competition is named after former Indian cricketer Kumar Shri Ranjitsinhji who had also represented England in test cricket.
- The competition was launched as "The Cricket Championship of India" in 1934.
- The first Ranji Trophy Championship (1934-35) was won by Bombay after they defeated North India in the final.
- Syed Mohammed Hadi of Hyderabad was the first batsman to score a hundred.
Who Play ??
- State teams, cricket associations and clubs with first-class status are qualified to play in the Ranji Trophy.
Points to note
- Mumbai is the most successful team of the championship with staggering 40 wins out of a total of 80 editions.
- They featured in 44 finals winning 40 of them.
- They had an amazing victory streak between 1958–59 and 1972–73 when they clinched 15 consecutive trophies- an era of unprecedented dominance.
- Delhi and Karnataka are 2nd most successful teams with 7 titles each.
- Highest team score: 944/6 (Hyderabad vs Andhra Pradesh in 1993–94)
- Lowest team score: 21 (Hyderabad v Rajasthan in 2010)
- Most career centuries: 32 - Wasim Jaffer
- Highest individual innings: 443 not out - BB Nimbalkar (Maharashtra vs Kathiawar in 1948–49)