National Award for the Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities 2013
"National Award for the Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities 2013" is to be presented to 44 individuals/organizations in 14 different categories this year (2013). The awards are conferred annually by the President on the ‘International Day of Persons with Disabilities’ which falls on December 3.
- Awards for the Best State in promoting empowerment of Persons with Disabilities and Best Sportsperson with Disabilities have been introduced from this year.
- As per 2001 Census report around 22 million (2.13% of the total population) people in India are disabled.
International Day of Persons with Disabilities:
- Its observed across the world on December 3rd every year.
- As per United Nations, Over a billion people (almost 15 per cent of the world’s population) live with some form of disability.
- The day aims to promote awareness and understanding of disability issues across the world attempting to mobilize support for the dignity, rights and well-being of such persons.
- The theme for the day, earlier known as "International Day of Disabled Persons", this year (2013) is “Break Barriers, Open Doors: for an inclusive society and development for all”.
- Disabled people suffer physical, social, economic and attitudinal injustices all over the world excluding them from taking full and effective part in society as equal members.