Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna 2013 to Ronjan Sondhi
Ronjan Sodhi (Double trap shooter) has been awarded Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award 2013- the most prestigious award for a sportperson in India. His name was announced along with the 15 other sportperson who were awarded Arjuna Award.
Sodhi’s Achievments :
- first Indian to win 2 (back-to-back) World Cup gold medals
- Double trap gold-medal 2012 Asian Games
- Silver medal 2010 Commonwealth Games
- Arjuna award 2009
He is the 7th shooter to be awarded Khel Ratna (maximum for any sport) and it has been the 3rd consecutive year when Khel Ratna has been awarded to a shooter ( Gagan Narang- 2011,Vijay Kumar-2012 /London Olympics silver medallist, joint winner withwrestler Yogeshwar Dutt- bronze medallist in London Olympics).
OTHERS IN CONTENTION FOR AWARD WERE :
- Paralympian HN Girisha- winner high jump silver medal in London olympics
- Krishna Poonia – Discus Thrower (Long time National champion and finished 7th at London Olympics)
The Arjuna awardees: (Total 15) (given to outstanding sportspersons in many sporting disciplines every year)
Virat Kohli (Cricket), Chekrovolu Swuro (Archery/ part of silver medal-winning team in the 2011 World Cup), ***Renjith Maheshwary (Athletics/Triple jumper-- bronze medal 2010 Commonwealth Games / national record), P V Sindhu (Badminton), Kavita Chahal (World Championship bronze medallist /Boxing), Rupesh Shah (Snooker), Gaganjeet Bhullar (Golf), Saba Anjum (former captain/ Hockey), Rajkumari Rathore (Shooting), Joshna Chinappa (Squash), Mouma Das (Table Tennis), Neha Rathi (Wrestling), Dharmendra Dalal (Wrestling), Abhijeet Gupta (Chess) and Amit Kumar Saroha (Para sports).
***Renjith Maheshwary : In September 2013 government decided not to give Arjuna Award to him due to his dope-tainted past (He was found guilty of doping during the 46th National Athletic Championships at Kochi in 2008)
The Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna:
- India’s highest honour given for achievement in sport Award
- a medal, a scroll of honour and Rs. 750,000.
- instituted in the year 1991–92 to honour achievers of different sports at word stage and is conferred for outstanding sporting performance, whether by an individual or a team, across all sporting disciplines in a given year
- LAST AWARDEE : Vijay Kumar (Shooting) and Yogeshwar Dutt (Wrestling) for 2011-12
- FIRST AWARDEE : Viswanathan Anan (1991-92)
- MAXIMUM AWARD TO : SHOOTING (7times)
- not conferred to anyone in 1993–94.
Sports Authority of India (SAI) Director General : Jiji Thomson
2013 Selection committee Chairman: Michael Ferreira (billiards legend)
National Sports Awards : (Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna ,Arjuna, Dronacharya , Dhyan Chand and Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puruskar )
Announced by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, they are given by Government of India every year to recognize and reward excellence in sports.In olympic years number of awards may increase to felicitate medal winners.
- While Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Awardee are given a medal, a citation and cash component of Rs.7.5 lakh ; Arjuna, Dronacharya and Dhyan Chand Awardees recieves statuettes, citation and Rs 5 Lakh. Recipients of Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puruskar are given Trophies.
Other National Awards -
- Dronacharya Awards 2013 - Given to Coaches :
- Ms. Poornima Mahato( Archery); Mr. Mahavir Singh (Boxing); Mr. Narinder Singh Saini (Hockey) and Mr. K.P. Thomas (Athletics) & Mr. Raj Singh (Wrestling) for lifetime contribution to coaching
- Dhyan Chand Awards 2013 - given for lifetime achievement in sports and games :
- Ms. Mary D’souza Sequeira (Athletics) ; Mr. Syed Ali (Hockey) ; Mr. Anil Mann (Wrestling) and Mr. Girraj Singh (ParaSports - Athletics)
Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puruskar 2013 - given to organisations or person other than sportperson and coaches who contributes in development of sports in country :
- Dr. U.K. Mishra, Founder and President, National Sports Academy, Allahabad (for Community Sports Identification and Nurturing of Budding Young Talent) ; Services Sports Control Board (Financial Support for Sports Excellence ) ; Pullela Gopichand Academy of Badminton ( Establishment and Management of Sports Academies of Excellence) ; Petroleum Sports Promotion Board (Hyderabad Employment of Sportspersons and sports welfare measures).
- introduced in 2009 (last addition to this list) ; are given in above four categories