'Ranchi Rays' crowned 'Hockey India League 2015' champion
Ranchi ruled the roost once again at the Hockey India League by winning it second time in its 3 years short history.
The outfit - now known as 'Ranchi Rays' - defeated 'Punjab Warriors' in the final by a 3-2 scoreline in the penalty shootout after the regular time yielded a 2-2 tie.
The city franchise - earlier called 'Ranchi Rhinos' - had also grabbed the inaugural title in 2013.
Despite the overhaul in stakeholders, the team has almost maintained the same squad as earlier.
India cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni co-own the franchise with Sahara Group being the complementary partner.
- Defending champions Delhi Waveriders finished third after beating Uttar Pradesh Wizards 2-1 in the third-fourth place play-off match.
- The annual competition is in the line of 'Indian Premier League' and is organised by the top governing body of the game 'Hockey India'.
- So far, the championship feature only six teams namely: Ranchi Rays, Punjab Warriors, Uttar Pradesh Wizards, Delhi Waveriders, Kalinga Lancers and Dabang Mumbai.
- Winning skipper 'Ashley Jackson' (England) is honoured with "Player of the Tournament" title while drag-flicker Harmanpreet Singh (Dabang Mumbai) became 'The Most Promising Player'.
- Uttar Pradesh Wizards grabbed the 'Fair Play' title.
- PR Sreejesh (UP Wizards) won the 'Dhruv Batra Motivator of the Tournament Award'.