Salgaocar FC wins Durand Cup 2014
Salgaocar FC is the new champion of the coveted football title 'Durand Cup 2014'.
The Goa based club defeated Pune FC in the final by 1-0 to claim their 3rd Durand title.
They were Durand Cup champions in the year 1999 and 2003 as well.
- Two time I-League (earlier National Football League) winners: the topmost club tournament in the country in 1998-99 & 2010-11
- Have lifted 4 Federation Cup trophies in 1988, 1989, 1997, 2011.
The above tournament is high-octane knockout version of the I-League.
- Indian Super Cup champions in 1998 & 1999
Played between the I-League winner and the Federation Cup champions.
Durand Cup: Introduction
- Founded in 1888 Its the third oldest club cup competition in the world after the English and Scottish FA cups.
- It is named after its founder Sir Mortimer Durand, a British India's Foreign Member of the time, the counterpart of the Foreign Secretary in London.
- It was initially an exclusive military affair based in Shimla.
- The venue was transferred to New Delhi from Shimla in 1940.
- Its considered Indian counterpart to the FA Cup in England
Most successful teams
- East Bengal and Mohun Bagan: 16 titles each
- Border Security Force: 7 titles
- First winner from South: FC Kochin in 1997
- Its winners, unlike its European counterpart FA Cups, do not qualify for Asian Football Confederation tournaments.
- The I-League and Federation Cup are the only ways to qualify for the Asian cup.
- The winning team is presented with three trophies: The President’s Cup, the Durand Cup and the Shimla Trophy
- Previous winner: Mohammedan Sporting
Other notable Football Championships in India
- Federation Cup
- Santosh Trophy
- IFA Shield