Stree Shakti Puruskar
As a measure of recognition of achievements of individual women in the field of social development, the Government of India has instituted 6 National Awards, which are called “Stree Shakti Puruskar”. These awards are in the name of the following eminent women personalities in the Indian history, who are famous for their personal courage and integrity:‐
• Devi Ahilya Bai Holkar
• Mata Jijabai
• Rani Gaidinliu Zeliang
• Rani Lakshmi Bai- given to recognize the spirit of courage and the personal achievement of a woman in difficult circumstances, who has established this spirit of courage in her individual or professional life
• Rani Rudramma Devi (for both men & women)- for their outstanding administrative skill, leadership quality and courage
The first four awards are given to women who have done work in any of the following areas :
• Support and rehabilitation of women and children in especially difficult circumstances like destitute women and children, widows, victims of atrocities and conflicts disabled women and children, aged women etc.
• Education and training
• Promoting self help groups
• Support to women in agriculture and rural industry including promotion of technology to reduce drudgery.
• Environment protection
• Empowerment of Women for community and political participation
• Health performance including though propagation of indigenous systems of medicine
• Creating awareness and consciousness on women’s issues though the arts, media (including electronic and mass media), community based programmes etc
Each of the above award carries a cash prize of Rs 3 Lakh and citation. The Ministry of Women and Child Development receives nominations through the State Governments and Union Territory Administration and a national level Selection Committee headed by its Minister selects the final awardee.