T20 world cup 2014: A Glance
Sri Lanka has finally ended their 18-year-long world cup drought by clinching the T20 world cup 2014. The 'island nation" achieved this feat by humbling India by 6 wickets in the final.
Points to Remember
- Its their maiden T20 world cup and 2nd world Cup overall after the shock victory in 1996 (50-over).
- Virat Kohli, the highest scorer of the tournament with 319 runs, was declared the 'Man of the Series'.
- It was a fitting farewell for the stalwarts 'Mahela Jayawardene and Kumar Sangakkara' who pulled the curtains on their T20 careers here.
- It was the 5th edition of World T20 competition after ones in 2007, 2009, 2010, and 2012.
- The tournament featured 16 teams, the highest so far.
- "Char Chokka Hoi Hoi" was the official theme song for the tournament.
Women's T20 World Cup 2014
- Australia retains the women's T-20 world cup crown for the 3rd consecutive time beating England by 6 wickets.
- England’s Anya Shrubsole received player of the series award.
- It was the 4th edition of Women's World Twenty20 that began in 2009 and is held concurrently, since then, with men's tournament.
- Apart from the inaugural edition, lifted by host 'England' in 2009, all the other 3 editions (2010, 2012 & 2014) has been captured by Australians.
Having it both ways
- The multi-talented Australian all-rounder 'Ellyse Alexandra Perry' also plays football for Australian national team.