The Netherlands crowned champion of Inaugural Hockey World League
The Netherlands crushed surprise finalist New Zealand 7-2 in the final to clinch the inaugural Hockey World League championship held in New Delhi. India finished a motivating 6th having trumped by Belgium 1-2 in the play-off to determine 5th and 6th place teams.
- England pipped the world champions Australia 2-1 to secure the bronze medal in a thrilling contest.
- The tournament, organised by the International Hockey Federation (FIH), consist of 4 rounds played over 2 years.
- The final round features 8 teams (The host nation and 7 teams qualified from Round 3).
- The championship also serves as the qualifier for upcoming Hockey World Cup (men and women's) and the Olympic Games.
- India had qualified to the final event as a host nation, and subsequently performed reasonably well considering that in mind.
- The Netherlands: 1st
- New Zealand: 2nd
- England: 3rd
- Australia: 4th
- Belgium: 5th
- India: 6th
- Germany: 7th
- Argentina: 8th