Person in News Current Affairs (Page : 6)
Monday, Dec 09, 2013
'Sushma Singh' has been appointed as the next Chief Information Commissioner (CIC) of India succeeding Deepak Sandhu (the first female CIC) who will finish
Saturday, Dec 07, 2013
Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela, aka Madiba in South Africa, passed away at the age of 95 on Dec 5, 2013. This noble figure served as the President of South Africa fr
Friday, Nov 22, 2013
Three Indian Americans have been appointed to the key post of Barack Obama administration, further expanding the list of Indian Americans in his administrative
Thursday, Nov 21, 2013
Frederick Sanger, a biochemist of British origin and a double Noble Prize Awardee, who decoded the process of sequencing of DNA , has died. His pioneering work
Monday, Sep 16, 2013
Ray Dolby, founder of Dolby Laboratories and pioneer in noise reduction in audio recordings, has died in San Francisco aged 80. He, whose name became synonym
Friday, Sep 06, 2013
Rakesh Sood, one of the top non-proliferation expert of India, has been appointed PM's Special Envoy on Disarment and Non-Proliferation. Credentials:
Thursday, Sep 05, 2013
Deepak Sandhu has been appointed as the new Chief Information Commissioner of India by the President of India and thus would become the first woman Chief Inf
Thursday, Aug 22, 2013
The Public Enterprise Selection Board has shortlisted Nishi Vasudeva as the next Chairman of the Public Sector Oil Marketing Company Hindustan Petroleum Corp
Monday, Aug 12, 2013
Sakar Khan, “Kamaicha” playing Rajasthani folk musician and a Padma shree awardee, passed away at the age of 77 following a glorious career that
Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013
The current Chief Economic Adviser in the Finance Ministry, Raghuram Govind Rajan, has been appointed as the new (23rd) Governor of India’s Central ban
Person in News Tidbits ( Aug 07, 2013 - Dec 09, 2013 )
- Dec 09, 2013 Ahmet Üzümcü re-appointed Director-General of OPCW for second term at the 18th Session of the Conference of State Parties. show
- Dec 06, 2013 Sushma Singh appointed new Chief Information Commissioner of India (CIC); will succeed Deepak Sandhu- the firstever women CIC. - read more
- Dec 06, 2013 Nelson Mandela, former South African President (first Black President) and anti-apartheid icon, dies at the age of 95. - read more
- Dec 05, 2013 Anurag Jain appointed acting chairman and managing director of EXIM Bank following retirement of incumbent TCA Ranganathan. show
- Dec 05, 2013 P Madhusudan appointed as the new Chairman and managing director of Public sector Rashtriya Ispat Nigam (RINL). show
- Dec 03, 2013 Hollywood actor Paul Walker, famous for starring in 'Fast and the Furious' film franchise, dies in a car crash aged 40.
- Dec 03, 2013 M.V. Tanksale, former Chairman and Managing Director of Central Bank of India, appointed as Chief Executive of the Indian Banks’ Association (IBA). show
- Dec 02, 2013 Multi Commodity Exchange of India Limited (MCX) appoints former Chief Information Commissioner (CIC) 'Satyananda Mishra' as its Chairman.
- Dec 02, 2013 R. Raghuram, noted Choreographer of various South Indian-language films, dies aged 64. He, fondly known as "Raghu Master", worked in around 1,500 films in several capacities — actor, director and producer — over five decades.
- Nov 30, 2013 Acclaimed Dalit writer 'Omprakash Valmiki' passes away aged 63. He was best known for his autobiography "Joothan" (1997) which is regarded as a milestone in Dalit Hindi literature.
- Nov 29, 2013 Manpreet Singh has been appointed as the captain of the India in the 18-nation Junior Hockey World Cup. The tournament is to be held from December 6-15 in New Delhi.
- Nov 28, 2013 The world's largest credit rater "Standard & Poor's Ratings" appoints Citigroup's Neeraj Sahai as its next president. He, currently the head of Citigroup's Securities and Fund Services business, will succeed Douglas Peterson on January 6, 2014.
- Nov 27, 2013 Central African country Rwanda launches a national drive to "non-surgically" circumcise thousands of men to cut HIV rate in the country. show
- Nov 27, 2013 Lieutenant-General Raheel Sharif to succeed Ashfaq Parvez Kayani as next Army Chief of Pakistan.
- Nov 25, 2013 Following Bharat Ratna, scientist C N R Rao elected as the honorary foreign member of the Chinese Academy of Sciences - the first Indian to be so. show
- Nov 25, 2013 Justice A P Shah appointed new Chairman of the 20th Law Commission of India (Commission's term - September 1, 2012 - August 31, 2015). show
- Nov 22, 2013 Squadron Leader Shalija Dhami becomes the first woman from IAF (Indian Air Force) to qualify as a flying instructor.
- Nov 22, 2013 Chairman of PwC India Deepak Kapoor Re- elected for the same post Chairman to PwC India.Deepak will take charge from 1st January 2014. show
- Nov 22, 2013 Nisha Desai Biswal, an Indian American, nominated by Obama administration to be the new Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asian Affairs. - read more
- Nov 21, 2013 Frederick Sanger ,the only person to win two nobel prize for chemistry, passes away. - read more
- Nov 21, 2013 India's senior women's hockey team coach Inderjit Singh Gill dies following a road accident in Punjab.
- Nov 20, 2013 Indian-American Kal Penn (Kalpen Suresh Modi) has been nominated to US "President’s Committee on the Arts and the Humanities". - read more
- Nov 19, 2013 Barack Obama nominates Indian-American, Vivek H Murthy to be the next Surgeon General of the Public Health Service of USA. - read more
- Nov 17, 2013 Doris Lessing, winner of 2007 Nobel Prize for literature, dies at the age of 94. show
- Nov 15, 2013 'Twitter' has appointed Parminder Singh as the Managing Director southeast Asia, MENA (Middle East and North Africa) and India. show
- Nov 15, 2013 Yogesh Agarwal resigns as Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) Chairman. Anup Wadhawan has taken over as the new (interim) chairman.
- Nov 14, 2013 Krishna Mohan Sahni (a retired 1969 batch IAS officer) appointed Chairman of the National Multi-Commodity Exchange of India Ltd (NMCE) show
- Nov 13, 2013 Usha Ananthasubramanian has been appointed the 1st Chairperson and Managing Director (CMD) of Bharatiya Mahila Bank. She was an executive director with Punjab National Bank (PNB) before joining this first ever all-women bank in India. - read more
- Nov 12, 2013 Vijaydan Detha, renowned author of Rajasthani folk tales, passes away. He, popularly known as 'Bijji', received many awards including Sahitya Academy and Padmashri. He had also won a nomination for the Literature Nobel in 2006.
- Nov 11, 2013 Sushil Muhnot appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director of Bank of Maharashtra. He, prior to this, was Chairman of Small Industries Development Bank of India since April 2012.
- Nov 11, 2013 Siddharth Tiwari to be India's new Chief Economic Advisor replacing Raghuram Rajan. He, a senior IMF official, will have a tenure of 3 years.
- Nov 09, 2013 P.Y. Rajendra Kumar has been appointed as the Director General of National Library, Kolkata for a period of three years.
- Nov 09, 2013 Parvinder Sohi Behuria appointed new "Secretary General" of National Human Rights Commission.
- Nov 08, 2013 Uninor, India unit of Norwegian telecom giant Telenor, Chief Executive Officer Yogesh Malik quits. Sigve Brekke, present head of the Telenor Group’s Asia operations, appointed interim CEO.
- Nov 08, 2013 The government appointed Prem Narain as the Secretary of Overseas Indian Affairs Ministry replacing Rajiv Mehrishi. Rajiv Mehrishi has been given the charge of new Fertilisers Secretary succeeding Sudhir Mital who retires at the end of this month.
- Nov 07, 2013 Kannada film director and screenplay writer D Rajendra Babu dies at 62.
- Nov 07, 2013 Assamese music director Sher Choudhury dies aged 69. He, a very prolific music composer, had bagged the best music director’s award at the 37th National Film Festival in 1990 for the film 'Wosobipo'.
- Nov 07, 2013 Jammu and Kashmir Bank extends the tenure of Mushtaq Ahmad as its Chairman and CEO for another 3 years.
- Nov 07, 2013 Eminent food writer and chef 'Tarla Dalal' passes away aged 77. She, a Padma Shri awardee in 2007, authored more than 100 cook books in her career.
- Nov 07, 2013 Nirupama Rao, Indian envoy to the US, bid farewell to her career of diplomacy. She, in her four-decade long career as a diplomat, served as 'India's Foreign Secretary', 'External Affairs Ministry's spokesperson' and envoy to important countries like China and Sri Lanka. Ms Rao will be succeeded by India's current ambassador to China S Jaishankar.
- Nov 05, 2013 Dr. Nitish Sengupta, Chairman of BRPSE (Board for Reconstruction of Public Sector Enterprises) dies of heart attack at 81.
- Nov 05, 2013 India's nominee Shashi Kant Sharma wins election to United Nations Board of Auditors. show
- Nov 02, 2013 Guenter Weber appointed as the Regional (India) President of Bosch Ltd for automotive aftermarket business.
- Nov 02, 2013 Sanjeev Kapoor appointed as Chief Operating Officer of SpiceJet. He has earlier worked as special advisor to the board of GMG Airlines, Bangladesh.
- Nov 02, 2013 India celebrates 137th birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel on November 1, 2013. The first Home Minister of India, also called as "Iron-Man", had single-handedly united the 500 odd principalities with India after the independence.
- Nov 01, 2013 Rajendra Yadav, a noted Hindi writer and a prominent novelist, passes away aged 84.
- Nov 01, 2013 Indian-origin Gurdeep Singh Pall appointed as the Corporate Vice-President of Skype. Skype, a popular and free international voiceover and messaging service, has been developed by Microsoft Corporation. He will be replacing Mark Gillett as such.
- Oct 31, 2013 Subhas Goswami - current Director of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy, Hyderbad - has been appointed as Director General of Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP).
- Oct 30, 2013 Arup Raha, presently the Vice-Chief of Air Staff, is to succeed NAK Browne as the next Air Chief Marshal of Indian Air Force after his retirement on December 31, 2013.
- Oct 28, 2013 Giorgi Margvelashvili elected new President of Georgia. - read more
- Oct 26, 2013 Britain to construct new Nuclear Plant after 20 years at Hinkley Point C (Somerset) in Southwestern England. - read more
- Oct 26, 2013 Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan appointed as the goodwill ambassador for South Korea. He was appointed as the public diplomat as well as an ambassador of India’s soft power. He is also the brand ambassador of Korean brand Hyundai and Samsung. show
- Oct 26, 2013 Sunil Mathur to take charge as the Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Siemens India. He, currently the India CFO of the engineering giant Siemens, will be replacing Armin Bruck as such.
- Oct 24, 2013 Lawrence Klein, winner of Economics Nobel Prize for 1980, passes away at 93. He, known as the father of the modern economic-forecasting industry, had been adviser to several governments around the world.
- Oct 24, 2013 Legendary singer Manna Dey passes away aged 94 in Bangalore. show
- Oct 23, 2013 Tarun Chugh appointed as the Managing Director of PNB MetLife.
- Oct 19, 2013 Micromax Chief Executive Officer Deepak Mehrotra quits to join as Managing Director (India business) of publishing giant Pearson.
- Oct 19, 2013 A. Krishnakumar to take charge as Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Philips Electronics India Limited from December 2013.
- Oct 19, 2013 Eminent philanthropist and Padma awardee Sarojini Varadappan passes away at 92. She, daughter of former Tamil Nadu chief minister M Bhakthavatsalam, was also the aunt of Union environment minister Jayanthi Natarajan.
- Oct 19, 2013 Government appoints Gireesh Pradhan as the new Chairperson of the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission (CERC). He earlier had served as Secretary of Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.
- Oct 17, 2013 Anand Mahindra elected as Chairperson of 'Public Health Foundation of India' (PHFI) for a term of three years. He succeeds Infosys founder NR Narayana Murthy as such.
- Oct 17, 2013 Ajit Agarkar, former Indian pacer, retires from all forms of cricket. He is the third highest wicket-taker for the country in One-Day Internationals (ODIs) with 288 scalps.
- Oct 17, 2013 Arunendra Kumar appointed as Chairman of Railway Board. He was earlier serving as Acting Chairman after the retirement of Vinay Mittal on June 30, 2013.
- Oct 16, 2013 Australian Terry Walsh appointed the chief coach of Indian men`s hockey team. He succeeds his compatriot Michael Nobbs who was sacked due to string of poor results.
- Oct 15, 2013 Eminent social worker Mohan Dharia, also a former Union Minister and Padma Vibhushan (2005) laureate, passes away at 88.
- Oct 15, 2013 Janet Yellen succeeds Ben Bernanke as chairman of the US central bank to become the first woman leader of the US central bank in its 100-year history.
- Oct 11, 2013 Indian Oil Corporation's Executive Director (Retail Sales) B Ashok to replace RS Butola as Chairman after his retirement in May next year.
- Oct 09, 2013 SB Nayar appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director of India Infrastructure Finance Company (IIFCL).
- Oct 07, 2013 Shyam Benegal to head the jury of seventh Asia Pacific Screen Awards to be held in Brisbane, Australia.
- Oct 07, 2013 Ratan Tata to be formally inducted as a Foreign Associate into the prestigious National Academy of Engineering in the US for his "outstanding contributions" to industrial development in India and the world over.
- Oct 07, 2013 SR Bansal appointed as Chairman and Managing Director of Corporation Bank Mangalore. He, prior to this, was Executive Director of Punjab National Bank.
- Oct 04, 2013 Sunil Singhania of Reliance Capital Asset Management becomes first Indian elected to serve on the Board of Governors of CFA Institute. The CFA Institute is a global association of investment professionals.
- Oct 03, 2013 American novelist Tom Clancy, famous for writing high-tech military thriller, dies at 66.
- Oct 03, 2013 Ashok Reddy Nukala appointed as Chairman of Karnataka Vikas Grameena Bank (KVGB); KVGB is a Syndicate Bank sponsored regional rural bank.
- Oct 01, 2013 Lalu Yadav convicted in 'fodder scam' by a special CBI court in Ranchi; likely to be disqualified as an MP, can't fight elections for six years after serving sentence.
- Sep 30, 2013 BS Rama Rao assumes charge as second Executive Director of Vijaya Bank.
- Sep 28, 2013 Anupam Shah promoted to be the new Chairman of EEPC (Engineering Export Promotion Council). He, former senior vice-chairman of EEPC, succeeds Aman Chadha as such.
- Sep 28, 2013 Association of Mutual Funds in India (AMFI), a self-regulatory body for mutual funds, appoints Sundeep Sikka as Chairman and Sandesh Kirkire as vice-chairman.
- Sep 28, 2013 The Indian Newspaper Society elects Ravindra Kumar, Editor of The Statesman newspaper, as President for 2013-14. He succeeds K N Tilak Kumar of Deccan Herald.
- Sep 26, 2013 BCCI expels Lalit Modi (ex-IPL commissioner) for life on account of "serious misconduct and indiscipline".
- Sep 26, 2013 Gireesh Pradhan to be the next chairman of India’s apex power sector regulator "Central Electricity Regulatory Commission".
- Sep 26, 2013 SBI Managing Director Arundhati Bhattacharya set to be promoted as SBI Chief (Chairperson); to succeed Pratip Chaudhuri.
- Sep 25, 2013 Indian Coffee Board Chairman Jawaid Akhtar promoted as Chairperson of International Coffee Council.
- Sep 25, 2013 Justice Vangala Eswaraiah Appointed as the Chairperson of National Commission for Backward Classes; NCBC is a five-member statutory body set up under National Commission for Backward Classes Act, 1993.
- Sep 24, 2013 Sanjeev Chadha takes over as Chief Executive Officer of PepsiCo for the Asia, Middle East and Africa (AMEA) region. show
- Sep 23, 2013 Chinese politician Bo Xilai sentenced to life imprisonment for corruption.
- Sep 21, 2013 Former BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India) secretary Jaywant Yashwant Lele dies of heart attack at 75.
- Sep 21, 2013 The Audit Bureau of Circulation (ABC) appoints Ravindra Pisharody (Executive Director at Tata Motors) as Chairman and M Venkatesh (HT Media) as Deputy Chairman for 2013-14. show
- Sep 20, 2013 Jhumpa Lahiri's 'The Lowland' shortlisted for US National Book Award 2013 in the fiction category; She is also in the running for Man Booker Prize 2013.
- Sep 20, 2013 Ken Norton, former world heavyweight champion remembered for breaking Muhammad Ali’s jaw during a bout, died at 70.
- Sep 19, 2013 Psephologist Yogendra Yadav sacked from UGC; government justifies stand citing it feared politicization of the organization.
- Sep 19, 2013 Saji Cherian to take over as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of National Spot Exchange Limited (NSEL) from September 16, 2013. He succeeds Anjani Sinha.
- Sep 18, 2013 P Sudhakar appointed Chairman and Managing Director of "Electronics Corporation of India Limited".
- Sep 17, 2013 Nina Davuluri crowned Miss America; becomes first winner of Indian heritage. - read more
- Sep 16, 2013 Ray Dolby, the pioneer of noise reduction on music and cinema recordings, dies at 80. - read more
- Sep 14, 2013 Vinod Raina, educationist and the chief architect of Right To Education Act, dies of cancer.
- Sep 09, 2013 Romesh Bhandari, former Governor of Uttar Pradesh, Tripura and Goa, dies at 85. show
- Sep 07, 2013 VP Chaudhary, a Padma Shri awardee social worker cum politician, passes away.
- Sep 06, 2013 Rakesh Sood appointed PM's Special Envoy on Disarment and Non-Proliferation. - read more
- Sep 06, 2013 Indian writer and activist Sushmita Banerjee shot dead by Taliban.