Sports Current Affairs (Page : 6)
Thursday, Jan 02, 2014
New Zealand little-known batsman Corey Anderson registered his name in the cricket's record books by hitting the fastest ODI century against a hapless looking W
Monday, Dec 16, 2013
Defending champion Germany walked away with the men's 'Hockey Junior World Cup' 2013 for the record 6th time after decimating surprise-finalist France 5–2 in
Saturday, Dec 14, 2013
India exerted its supremacy in the game of Kabbadi by claiming Kabaddi World Cup 2013 title in both men's amd women's category. On one hand Indian wom
Friday, Dec 06, 2013
FIFA in a watershed moment for Indian football, has awarded the rights to host the 24-nation 2017 'Under-17 World Cup' to India. India outbid 2010 World Cup hos
Monday, Dec 02, 2013
Rory McIlroy of Northern Ireland pips hot favourite Adam Scott (Australia) in a dramatic finish to clinch Australian Open by one shot (birdie). He birdied
Monday, Dec 02, 2013
Indian shuttler PV Sindhu lived up to the growing expectations by winning the Macau Open Grand Prix Gold Tournament. This is her 2nd women's singles Grand Prix
Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013
Following continuous rain in Kochi that allowed only ten overs to be bowled during the entire period of play, North Zone and South Zone shared the Duleep Tro
Saturday, Sep 21, 2013
India has earned maiden world cup berth by finishing sixth in men's freestyle wrestling with two medals at the World Wrestling Championships in Budapest,
Friday, Sep 20, 2013
Mohammedan Sporting is the Durand Cup champion for the year 2013. The Kolkata based club ended a long 73-year wait for their second Durand Cup title beating
Thursday, Sep 19, 2013
15 th World Police and Fire Games 2013 was held from August 1-10 at Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK). The games featured almost 7,000 competitors from 67
Sports Tidbits ( Sep 19, 2013 - Jan 02, 2014 )
- Jan 03, 2014 New Zealand's Corey Anderson slams fastest ODI century. - read more
- Dec 30, 2013 South African allrounder Jacques Kallis becomes third highest run getter in Test Cricket when he surpassed Rahul Dravid by one run to reach 13,289 in last match of his career. show
- Dec 28, 2013 Athletics Federation of India bans six states namely Delhi, Haryana, Rajasthan, Bihar , Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh for a year on the charge of fielding overaged athletes. show
- Dec 27, 2013 Deepika Kumari clinches her 6th consecutive individual title at the 34th National Archery Championships held at Jamshedpur, while Atanu Das claims the men's individual title. show
- Dec 23, 2013 English spinner Graeme Swann stuns the cricketing world by announcing his retirement from international and first-class cricket just 5 years after making his debut in test against India in December 2008. He, with 255 wickets in 60 tests, is the sixth-most successful test cricket bowler for England so far.
- Dec 19, 2013 Kapil Dev, former India cricket captain, awarded Col. C.K. Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award 2013 by BCCI, Ashwin gets Polly Umrigar Award. - read more
- Dec 18, 2013 West Indian spinner Shane Shillingford has been suspended by the International Cricket Council (ICC) for illegal bowling action. He is suspended until he remedies his bowling action that now exceeds the arm-bending limit of 15 degrees.
- Dec 17, 2013 Mahesh Mangaonkar becomes the first Indian squash player to win the 6th IMET Open, PSA World Tour Challenger 5 event, held in Bratislava (Slovakia).
- Dec 17, 2013 Ethiopian Atsedu Tsegay (men) and Kenya's Gladys Cherono (women) win Delhi Half Marathon 2013. The race covered a distance of 21 kms between JN Stadium and Central Secretariat.
- Dec 16, 2013 India lapse to a disappointing 10th place in Junior Hockey World Cup 2013 losing to arch rival Pakistan 4-2 in penalty shoot-out. - read more
- Dec 16, 2013 India keep their 'Kabaddi World Cup' record unblemished by defeating Pakistan 48-39 to lift their 4th title in as many editions. - read more
- Dec 13, 2013 International Olympic Committee (IOC) refuses to lift suspension of Indian Olympic Association (IOA) until it conducts fresh elections for its office-bearers under agreed guidelines of IOC which bars chargesheeted persons from fighting elections. show
- Dec 09, 2013 Indian Olympic Association (IOA) finally bows to International Olympic Committee (IOC) direction to amend its constitution so as to bar corrupt officials from contesting elections to its high offices. show
- Dec 09, 2013 Ex-Pakistani captain and legendary fast bowler Waqar Younis inducted into the ICC’s Hall of Fame along with and ex-Australia wicketkeeper Adam Gilchrist. show
- Dec 07, 2013 Brazuca, the official match ball for 2014 Football World Cup in Brazil, unveiled by Adidas.
- Dec 06, 2013 India to host FIFA under-17 Football World Cup in 2017 ; firstever FIFA event in India. - read more
- Dec 02, 2013 Indian shuttler PV Sindhu clinches the women's singles title at the Macau Open Grand Prix Gold Tournament by crushing Li Michelle (Canada) 21-15, 21-12 in the final. Its her second Grand Prix title after Malaysia Open. - read more
- Nov 29, 2013 India concludes Commonwealth Youth And Junior Weightlifting Championships 2013 with a handsome tally of 47 gold, 28 silver and 12 bronze medals. The tournament was held in Penang, Malaysia.
- Nov 26, 2013 Australian Jason Day wns "Golf world cup" at The Royal Melbourne Golf Club in Melbourne. show
- Nov 25, 2013 German Sebastian Vettel (Team Red Bull) becomes firstever Formula 1 driver to win nine successive race in a single year (Italian Alberto Ascari too won 9 consecutive race but in two seasons- 1952-53) by winning Brazilian Grand Prix. show
- Nov 23, 2013 22 year old Norway's Magnus Carlsen defeats India's defending five-time champion Viswanathan Anand to become the World Chess Champion.
- Nov 22, 2013 Gurubax Singh Sandhu retained as the national coach of the men's Indian boxing team till the 2016 olympics in Rio de janeiro.
- Nov 21, 2013 Argentine Lionel Messi, who plays for Spanish league club Barcelona, gets Golden Shoe 2013 (most number of goals in a year) as Europe's top scorer (46 goals). show
- Nov 20, 2013 Current captain of Indian Football team Sunil Chhetri breaks the record of Baichung Bhutia (42 goals) to become India's highest goal scorer.
- Nov 18, 2013 Czech Republic retains Davis Cup title by defeating Serbia in the finals. show
- Nov 13, 2013 Bangladeshi golfer Mohammed Siddikur wins the 50th Indian Open golf tournament held at the Delhi Golf Club (DGC), New Delhi. It is his second Asian Tour title after Brunei Open victory in 2010.
- Nov 12, 2013 Novak Djokovic defends his ATP World Tour Finals title by beating arch-rival Rafael Nadal 6-3, 6-4 in the final held in London.
- Nov 12, 2013 India finishes 5th by crushing Oman 6-1 in the 3rd men's Asian Champions Trophy hockey tournament held at Kakamigahara, Japan.
- Nov 12, 2013 Heena Sidhu clinches the 10-metre women's air pistol gold medal in the World Cup Final in Munich. She thus becomes only the 3rd Indian shooter after Anjali Bhagwat (2003) and Gagan Narang (2008) to win a gold medal in a rifle/pistol event in the ISSF World Cup. The event is held annually featuring only top 10 shooters of the world.
- Nov 11, 2013 Indian women settles for a silver medal losing 1-0 to Japan in the four-nation Asian Champions Trophy hockey. Malaysia defeats China 3-1 to clinch the bronze medal.
- Nov 11, 2013 India has been awarded the 2018 men’s hockey World Cup, England to host women’s version in the same year. Its the 3rd time India is hosting the world cup after 1982 and 2010.
- Oct 29, 2013 Serena Williams beat Chinese Li Na (2-6, 6-3, 6-0) to win her second consecutive and fourth overall WTA Championship.
- Oct 28, 2013 Government extends tenure of 'Roelant Oltmans' as "High Performance Director of Indian Hockey" till 2016 Olympics.
- Oct 28, 2013 Indian cueist Alok Kumar loses to Englishman David Causier in the final of World Professional Billiards championship at Leeds (UK). The former Asian champion Settles for silver medal in this 150-up format of the competition.
- Oct 28, 2013 BCCI terminates Sahara Group owned "Pune Warriors" franchise from the IPL for non-payment of bank guarantee. This brings the IPL back to being an 8 team affair.
- Oct 28, 2013 Red Bull racing driver "Sebastian Vettel" (Germany) clinches his third successive Indian Grand Prix to capture fourth Formula one world title in a row. He, now the youngest four-times world champion, also brings his team (Red Bull) the title of "Constructors' World Championship" for the fourth successive year.
- Oct 24, 2013 Sanjeev Rajput wins gold in 50m rifle prone event at the ongoing Asian Shooting Championship in Tehran.
- Oct 22, 2013 North Zone and South Zone declared joint winners of the Duleep Trophy, 2013 following a rain affected final in Kochi. - read more
- Oct 21, 2013 Indian squash player Dipika Pallikal clinches Macau Open title beating former World number one Rachael Grinham (Australia) 12-10, 5-11, 11-7, 11-9 in the final. It is the seventh Women`s Squash Association (WSA) title of her career.
- Oct 19, 2013 Ding Junhui (China) wins 300,000 pounds inaugural Indian Open World Snooker ranking tournament by crushing Aditya Mehta by 5-0 in the final. Aditya Mehta earlier had become the first Indian ever to reach the final of a major ranking event.
- Oct 15, 2013 Novak Djokovic beat Juan Martin del Potro 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 to clinch his second straight Shanghai Masters title 2013. show
- Oct 09, 2013 India finishes with six medals (2 gold, 3 silver and a bronze) at Track Asia cycling championship held in Thailand; Deborah clinches two gold medals.
- Oct 08, 2013 Iran beat South Korea to win 'Asian Men's Volleyball Championship 2013'; Its their second title in a row.
- Oct 07, 2013 Kalapana Devi wins India’s first IJF Grand Prix medal (bronze) at the Judo tournament in Tashkent, Uzbekistan in 52kg weight category.
- Oct 07, 2013 Sania Mirza and Cara Black win the women's doubles title at the China Open. The Indo-Zimbabwean combine defeated Russian-Spanish pair of Vera Dushevina and Arantxa Parra Santonja 6-2, 6-2 in the final.
- Oct 07, 2013 Rohan Bopanna and Edouard Roger-Vasselin (France) win Japan Open. They defeated Jamie Murray and John Peers 7-6(5), 6-4 to clinch their first ATP World Tour team title.
- Oct 07, 2013 Novak Djokovic beats Rafael Nadal 6-3 6-4 to clinch men's singles title at China Open for the fourth time in five years.
- Oct 05, 2013 Portuguese Luis Leao Pinto wins the 9th MTB Himalaya 2013 (Himalaya bicycle rally) in the Open Men's Solo category. He also emerged overall winner leaving Purna Bahadur Pradhan and Surendra Singh behind at 2nd and 3rd place respectively.
- Oct 05, 2013 Afghanistan qualifies for their maiden Cricket World Cup 2015 with a thumping seven-wicket victory over Kenya.
- Oct 03, 2013 Argentine David Nalbandian retires from tennis due to persistent injury.
- Oct 01, 2013 BCCI: N Srinivasan elected (unopposed) as president for the third consecutive year; Ranjib Biswal takes over as new IPL Chairman from Rajiv Shukla.
- Oct 01, 2013 Koneru Humpy wins the FIDE Women’s Grand Prix chess title held at Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
- Oct 01, 2013 Anup Sridhar wins the 'Yonex Czech International badminton tournament' beating Italy’s Indra Bagus Ade Chandra 21-11, 21-16 in the final.
- Sep 30, 2013 Sania Mirza clinches women's doubles title with Cara Black (Zimbabwe) at Pan Pacific Open. Its her fourth title of the season and eighteenth overall.
- Sep 30, 2013 India’s Nikhat Zareen wins silver at Youth World Boxing Championship (54kg) in Bulgaria. She had won the gold medal in fly weight division (junior) at the inaugural edition of this championship in 2011.
- Sep 30, 2013 India crush Malaysia 3-0 to win maiden Sultan of Johor Cup (under-21) hockey championship title.
- Sep 30, 2013 Kenyan Wilson Kipsang breaks men's marathon world record in Berlin. He clocked 2hr 3min 23sec to slash the erstwhile record set by his compatriot Patrick Makau by 15 seconds.
- Sep 28, 2013 India win a consolation bronze medal in 8th Asia Cup women's hockey by defeating China even as they lost out on next year's World Cup berth.
- Sep 28, 2013 Vidit Gujarathi wins bronze medal at World Junior Chess championship in Turkey.
- Sep 27, 2013 Snooker player Stephen Lee banned for 12 years on match-fixing charges by World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association (WPBSA).
- Sep 23, 2013 Deepika Kumari wins the silver medal at Archery World Cup in Paris; Its the third successive time she had to settle for silver after 2011 and 2012.
- Sep 23, 2013 Sandeep Tulsi Yadav becomes first Indian wrestler to win a medal (bronze) in the Greco-Roman category at the World Wrestling Championships held at Budapest, Hungary. India finishes with best ever tally of 3 medals (1 silver & 2 bronze).
- Sep 21, 2013 India earns maiden world cup berth by finishing sixth in men's freestyle wrestling with two medals at the World Wrestling Championships in Budapest, Hungary. - read more